• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teenager Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vonibear

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I have a 14 y/o daughter that ended up getting pregant by her boyfriend, (then 15) 16 y/o. Neither of them are of concenting age, But yet I was told that they both can be charged by the state for rape. They were just two teenagers acting stupid and testing life, along with the patience of us parents. What are her rights, his rights. What are my rights in protecting my daughter and grandchild and the father to the baby.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes they can both be charged with statutory rape if they are both below the age of consent. What you should have done is before the child started having sex -- you should have made sure she understood ALL of the consequences. What can you do now? Most likely they will not be charged if none of the parents involved shout from the rooftops. But you can realize you have no legal rights to the baby your daughter is carrying. You have no legal rights to make decisions about the baby.

LdiJ

Yes they can both be charged with statutory rape if they are both below the age of consent. What you should have done is before the child started having sex -- you should have made sure she understood ALL of the consequences. What can you do now? Most likely they will not be charged if none of the parents involved shout from the rooftops. But you can realize you have no legal rights to the baby your daughter is carrying. You have no legal rights to make decisions about the baby.
Yes, ironically these two children will have full authority over the child that they conceived (actually your daughter will until dad's rights are legally established) and none of the grandparents will have any say at all, other than what influence they exert over their own children.

I am warning you right now...you are going to get very attached to this baby. You are going to have a great deal of trouble to avoid emotionally seeing this child as your own child rather than your grandchild. Particularly with your child being so young. Do yourself a favor and remind yourself every day that you are only the grandparent. You are going to disagree with some of your child's parenting choices, and some day your child and the baby will move out and on with their lives. So be prepared to deal with that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">