• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TEENS FEELING FORCED TO VISIT FATHER

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MYGIRLS

my girls are teenagers 13 and 14 and are active in school (dances,band, soft ball)their father told them they could not make plans if it interfered with his weekend including school events such as band. They do not feel it is fair for him to force them to go to his house and miss dances and other functions that he could easily pick them up from at the end. There is only 30 miles between us. He picks them up and makes them attend his, current children functions but says theirs interferes with his life and he only sees them every other weekend and they shouldn't want to do anything on those weekends. Do they have rights? One of them insists she'll save money and divorce him. We live in Oklahoma

I

imaANGEL

Dear Mygirls,

Sorry, I can't give you any advice, but I can extend my empathy and hope you know you're not alone.

Curious...did you mean that your ex has children from a second marriage that he actively supports from an extra-curricullar standpoint, but refuses to support your 13 & 14 year old's needs?!?!?!!!

Either way, his clone lives in California. Two years in a row I spent nearly $500 in equipment, sign up fees, uniforms, etc. for soccer for my two children. My ex refused to take them to their practices or games on "his" days because I would be there and he felt I was encroaching on his time. I promised to not show up...ever...if he would simply comply for the good of our children's experience. His second reply was that he knew better than anyone how unimportant team sports are for a 6 & 7 year old, he didn't want his schedule interrupted for whatever he wanted to do AND he derived absolutely no enjoyment from watching them practice or play in a scheduled game and therefore had no good reason to go out of his way to accommodate their activities. Eventually, they fell behind the other kids in developing skills in soccer and now, at 10 & 11 want nothing to do with soccer.

Now that my son is 10, he desperately wants to play football. We're moving 122 miles away from their father and he's already told my son that he will not be attending any games or practices that may fall on every other weekend when it's "his" time.

My ex is verbally, mentally and emotionally abusive. I've been running "defensive damage control" for six years. My daughter's feeling are slightly hurt, my son becomes devastated from his father's inconsideration. I've spent a great deal of time and effort one on one with my son to "repair" his ego, selfworth and self esteem on top of thousands of "counseling" dollars - we don't do counselors anymore - way more effective when my boyfriend of 4 years and I just address any issues that he has.

Bottom line is...if Oklahoma is anything at all like California, your girls will live in the school of hard knocks and evetually build antomosity and resentment towards him. He'll eventually have his own regrets.

But, in the meantime, California believes that anytime with Dad, regardless of the lack of quality is much more important than the feeling of abandonment. My kids WANT to be abandoned! I was an "abandoned" child and thank God above for every day that he kept me from my real father. My stepfather is my "Daddy" and always has been.

The courts out here claim to have the children's best interest - but they never seem to take into consideration how children really feel or what they truly need to be well rounded people.

I feel for you and your girls, it sounds like they may or may not like/love their father a lot, and are dissapointed in his choices to not support their needs.

If they aren't, for some reason very connected to him, they're certainly old enough to say, "Sorry, Dad, I'd love to spend time with you this weekend, but I've got a committment on Saturday with the band until 8pm. Maybe afterwards, we could see each other...If not, I look forward to seeing you week after next...."

I can't imagine how my 10 & 11 year old will be when they're 13 & 14! I have to put reigns on them now not to create too much distance between them and him. I say give you're girls a lesson in the art of diplomacy and he'll either straighten up or lose his chance to be part of their lives. If the latter is what he chooses, it doesn't sound like they'll come up short in life with such a terrific mom.

Best 2U & yours.

I

imaANGEL

Tigres,

You go girl. Loved your teabag ponder!!!

When my ex "offends" my children, I remind them that ANYB0DY can make a baby...there are better and worse parents, including me...but there is no way they could be loved more than I love them.

I also remind them that they should not use their father's behavior for validation of their own self worth. They are needed, wanted, and loved more than anything by me and their stepfather, as much as ANY child has ever been or could be loved.

Works like a charm...because it's true.

I hope that your daughter builds resilience from her situation and grows to be a loving, caring parent someday from her experiences. It's a "Yin Yang" thing...you'd never appreciate sunshine if it weren't for the night.

Best in life to you and her...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">