• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenants in common

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

[email protected]

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My son and I are not married and are buying a home together. If one or the other marries we do not want our spouse to have any rights to the property. We want all rights to go only to each other. Is this possible?

LdiJ

My son and I are not married and are buying a home together. If one or the other marries we do not want our spouse to have any rights to the property. We want all rights to go only to each other. Is this possible?
Yes, and no. You and your son will be the only legal owners of the property, but any future spouse will have a 1/4 interest in any equity that accrues during the marriage. You might consider having any future spouse sign a prenup regarding the house before getting married. However, prenups often can be broken. Certainly a long term marriage might allow a prenup to be broken.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You know, Redneck Weddings on CMT had an episode where a brother married a sister. If you were married, this would be a whole other post and I would ask you when your episode of redneck weddings was airing.

And quite frankly it is NOT possible unless your future spouses are willing to agree to it in a legally binding format such as a prenup that LD suggested but that is NOT ironclad.

nextwife

You know, Redneck Weddings on CMT had an episode where a brother married a sister. If you were married, this would be a whole other post and I would ask you when your episode of redneck weddings was airing.

And quite frankly it is NOT possible unless your future spouses are willing to agree to it in a legally binding format such as a prenup that LD suggested but that is NOT ironclad.
Could they place it in a family trust?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">