• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminating paternal rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kldavenport

Do I have to file for custody before I can get my daughter's father's paternity rights revoked? Also, if I was on public assistance, is it true that I can't get the rights revoked? My daughter's father is currently in jail(which is where he has been more than once in his life) and I do not want him to have any part of her life. Eventually, my boyfriend and I plan to marry and he wants to adopt her. How can I get custody and make sure her father does not receive any visitation, not even supervised. He has not been a part of her life since she was born and she is 6 years old. She does not know who he is and I prefer to keep it that way. Help me!! I live in NY.

[Edited by kldavenport on 02-14-2001 at 08:04 PM]

LegalBeagle

kldavenport said:
Do I have to file for custody before I can get my daughter's father's paternity rights revoked? Also, if I was on public assistance, is it true that I can't get the rights revoked? My daughter's father is currently in jail(which is where he has been more than once in his life) and I do not want him to have any part of her life. Eventually, my boyfriend and I plan to marry and he wants to adopt her. How can I get custody and make sure her father does not receive any visitation, not even supervised. He has not been a part of her life since she was born and she is 6 years old. She does not know who he is and I prefer to keep it that way. Help me!! I live in NY.

[Edited by kldavenport on 02-14-2001 at 08:04 PM]
Regardless of his criminal past and present, it is still not that easy, or at all possible to strip his of his rights and deny him any relationship with the child.. unless the crimes he has committed were murder (against a member of the family), child abuse etc..

Otherwise, he has every right to serve his time and then petition the courts for visitation. It will be supervised visitation but he is likely to get some.

Fathers, no matter how bad (within reason) still have rights to their children.

K

kldavenport

Well, he has been in jail anywhere from burglary and beating the resident with a baseball bat to selling drugs. Right now it is currently selling of pot and coke. Would you want your kid growing up like that? He has never paid a lick of support and he has orders on that too? He has two other children with two other women and has signed off on them already. Does it look like he really cares? He has never held a job and when he is not in jail, he lives with anyone that will take him in (family or friends). Well, pretty much his friends because his family doesn't want him around either. Now you tell me if that is a life for little girl when she is being offer so much more.

LegalBeagle

kldavenport said:
Well, he has been in jail anywhere from burglary and beating the resident with a baseball bat to selling drugs. Right now it is currently selling of pot and coke. Would you want your kid growing up like that? He has never paid a lick of support and he has orders on that too? He has two other children with two other women and has signed off on them already. Does it look like he really cares? He has never held a job and when he is not in jail, he lives with anyone that will take him in (family or friends). Well, pretty much his friends because his family doesn't want him around either. Now you tell me if that is a life for little girl when she is being offer so much more.
Hey, don't shoot the messenger!

If he has 'signed off' on other children then he will probably do so again.. get married and then ask him..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">