• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are Text Messages as Admissible Evidence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hardenaz

My message seems to not have posted

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello,

I'm in a situation where my friend has recently separated from her boyfriend (they are/were domestic partners) of 14 years. She has been dependent on his income for over ten years and they have a child together under ten years of age. They have bills in both their names and he's keeping his money essentially abandoning them and saving up for a car. She has text messages from him stating that he would pay for them financially for three years. Now he says he never said that. Now he sends her money once in a while depending on whether he's mad at her or not. I'd like to have her take him to court, but we don't have a signed contract from him. She has text messages from him promising that he'll pay. Any advice is appreciated.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello,

I'm in a situation where my friend has recently separated from her boyfriend (they are/were domestic partners) of 14 years. She has been dependent on his income for over ten years and they have a child together under ten years of age. They have bills in both their names and he's keeping his money essentially abandoning them and saving up for a car. She has text messages from him stating that he would pay for them financially for three years. Now he says he never said that. Now he sends her money once in a while depending on whether he's mad at her or not. I'd like to have her take him to court, but we don't have a signed contract from him. She has text messages from him promising that he'll pay. Any advice is appreciated.

She's entitled to child support.

As to the rest, no. She's not entitled to anything - even with text messages. She's going to have to get a job. And she might want to remember that if he's responsible for sharing his money, she's also responsible for those bills with her name attached.

Why do you believe he somehow owes her? What's your role in this?

Proserpina

Gosh, you and your friends are jolly unfortunate aren't you?

What are the odds of you both looking for some sort of spousal support?

https://forum.freeadvice.com/divorce-separation-annulment-36/annulment-579468.html#post3052144

single317dad

What are the odds of you both looking for some sort of spousal support?
In California, USA? Pretty good, I'd think.

OP and her friends need to take advantage of the President's hard work and apply for one of the millions of new jobs created in the last few years :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">