• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there any other way?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Todd_S

My wife and I were married in Missouri in a religious ceremony ten years ago. Because at the time we felt state licensing requirements were an infringement upon our religious freedoms, we did not apply for a state license.

Now that we are older and wiser, we wish to rectify the situation, but want to avoid the embarrassment (not to mention how our three little girls might look at us) of announcing to the world that we were never legally married (though we did exchange vows before witnesses and the marriage was solemnized by an ordained minister).

If that's what we have to do, then that's what we have to do, but is there any other way?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Todd_S said:
My wife and I were married in Missouri in a religious ceremony ten years ago. Because at the time we felt state licensing requirements were an infringement upon our religious freedoms, we did not apply for a state license.

Now that we are older and wiser, we wish to rectify the situation, but want to avoid the embarrassment (not to mention how our three little girls might look at us) of announcing to the world that we were never legally married (though we did exchange vows before witnesses and the marriage was solemnized by an ordained minister).

If that's what we have to do, then that's what we have to do, but is there any other way?
My response:

Sure. You both go to the County Clerk's office and apply for a marriage license. You wait for the waiting period to expire (see clerk for details), and then you go back and let the Clerk or the Judge marry you.

Then, your marriage will be recorded, and lawful.

IAAL

LegalBeagle

You think things were rough before.. just wait until you are properly and legally married.. then the sh!t really begins! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">