• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there such thing as a common law wife?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ANGELSBABYBLUES

MA

My name is Kim I live in Stoneham Mass. I have been living with whom I thought the love of my life for the past 13 years. Over the past 4-5 years things have gone down hill. He is cheating on me and is very abusive. Mostly verbally but I think thats worse. At least the pain from a hit goes away eventually, (in most cases) I have two sons, niether are his, thank God! One lives with his dad and the other lives with me. I have to get out he is getting worse daily and I am getting very worried and nervous he may harm me, his anger seems to have elevated tremendously over the last year since his buisness had gone down the tubes, of course all is my fault and I get the blame. My question is, since I have lived with him for 13 years, more than 75% of this time I have paid half of everything if not more because they are my children. Unfortunately I have been on disability for 4 years now which I still give my check to the house, as well as take care of all househould duties, and take care of all meals and what ever else needed, which I never minded but he didnt thinbk that it was comparable to him paying the bills, not all but most. So I am curiious to know if I am intitled to any of his assets when I leave. Most of what we have we aquired together, whether he paid for it or not is insignifigant I believe, but what does the law say????????

TinkerBelleLuvr

Does your name appear on these "assets"?

Common Law Marriage in Massachusetts
A "common law marriage" is one in which the parties may hold themselves out as a husband and wife, and under certain circumstances, be deemed married without a marriage license or ceremony.

Massachusetts does not allow the creation of a “common law” marriage, a relationship in which a couple lives together but have not participated in a lawful ceremony. Unlike some other states, in Massachusetts a couple cannot acquire marital rights and responsibilities by living together for a particular period of time. You do not need legal action to end such a relationship, if it was created in Massachusetts.

However, Massachusetts does recognize as valid, common law marriages created in other states if the legal requirements of those states have been met. As a result, legal action is needed to dissolve legal “common law” marriages performed in other states and foreign countries in compliance with their licensing and ceremonial regulations. The courts are available for determining the rights of parties now living in Massachusetts.

As long as a couple lives together as husband and wife, the question of validity of their marriage is unlikely to arise. However, for purposes of inheritance or the benefits of pension plans or social security, a valid marriage is required.
http://www.madivorceonline.com/mapages/Alimony/commonlawmarriage.asp

If you want the benefits of being married in Massachusetts, you must get MARRIED.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">