• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Three Marriages... No Disclosure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arkera

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Well, I've been posting about my domestic violence and divorce drama, but I've discovered new information and need some clarification...

My STBX was married twice previously. Wife number 1 initiated divorce and then died when a building collapsed (I know, but I found the BBC news articles). When he married wife number 2 he left the sections blank, in which you input previous marriages and then need either a divorce decree or a death certificate. I have not been able to find a divorce for this marriage, but then STBX did the same thing on our marriage certificate. Having been married twice previously, he neglected to mention that in the appropriate place on the certificate.

What does that mean? What do I need to do? Is this fraudulent in a way that is prosecutable? Am I even married? Sheesh... this just gets better and better.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Well, I've been posting about my domestic violence and divorce drama, but I've discovered new information and need some clarification...

My STBX was married twice previously. Wife number 1 initiated divorce and then died when a building collapsed (I know, but I found the BBC news articles). When he married wife number 2 he left the sections blank, in which you input previous marriages and then need either a divorce decree or a death certificate. I have not been able to find a divorce for this marriage, but then STBX did the same thing on our marriage certificate. Having been married twice previously, he neglected to mention that in the appropriate place on the certificate.

What does that mean? What do I need to do? Is this fraudulent in a way that is prosecutable? Am I even married? Sheesh... this just gets better and better.
You are still married. He possibly committed the crime of bigamy, and/or perhaps a minor crime of lying on the marriage license, but you are still married and still need the divorce.
Bigamy makes a marriage voidable, but the proper proceedures still have to be gone throught to dissolve the marriage.

I doubt that a DA would prosecute for not filling out the marriage license properly. A DA might very well prosecute for bigamy, but there would have to be proof, and you don't have any at this point.

Just get the divorce over with and move on.

arkera

CourtClerk, are you so enculturated with the bitter, jilted wives that wish to take their husbands for every penny that you can't conceive that this might have all been a passing question and not part of some diabolical scheme? I have moved on and am not consumed as you say. I haven't considered this situation since last I posted and the research I was talking about was as a result of poking around on Google that same evening. Relax and try the benefit of the doubt occasionally. I was just wondering... I thought that was what questions were for... obviously I don't have a skeeze-bag lawyer hired to screw him over that I might ask... I'm even getting yelled at by my friends and family for "letting him slide" so maybe not all of us are out for blood, ok?

CourtClerk

If you are up at 10 minutes to midnight and the only thing you are posting about is this man and his prior marriages, then you are more consumed than you would like to believe that you are and NO, you have NOT gotten over this. Why the hell are you googling anything about him and/or his past ANYWAY? This is the man that you claim ABUSED you and all that jazz.

Believe it or not, if all of your melodrama is true, I'm trying to get you to leave this man and this situation alone so you don't end up dead. But you do what you want to do, ultimately, it's not my problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">