• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Throwing Out GF

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bononos

What is the name of your state? Question is for PA.
In PA, I believe there is no common law marriage.
My friends situation is that she lives with her BF and their daughter.
He is threatening to give her the boot, possibly today.
He is the home owner, actually, he and his father.
Can he just put her out right then and there and change the locks?

LdiJ

bononos said:
What is the name of your state? Question is for PA.
In PA, I believe there is no common law marriage.
My friends situation is that she lives with her BF and their daughter.
He is threatening to give her the boot, possibly today.
He is the home owner, actually, he and his father.
Can he just put her out right then and there and change the locks?
Nope, he has to properly evict her. She should refuse to leave without the child.

bononos

LdiJ said:
Nope, he has to properly evict her. She should refuse to leave without the child.
What if she should get home and the locks are changed, he sent her a text stating that is what he's doing. It's not a matter of wanting to stay, it's a matter of where to go until she finds an apartment, plus, she owns alot of the property inside.

LdiJ

bononos said:
What if she should get home and the locks are changed, he sent her a text stating that is what he's doing. It's not a matter of wanting to stay, it's a matter of where to go until she finds an apartment, plus, she owns alot of the property inside.
The she calls the police and gets their help to re-enter her legal residence. She needs to stand up to him.

ceara19

LdiJ said:
The she calls the police and gets their help to re-enter her legal residence. She needs to stand up to him.
Or she can just break out a window or take an ax to the door in order to get into her house.

bononos

Thanks for the replies. She has access so far and started apartment hunting. Hopefully he allows access and stays civil until she moves. If not, I gave her the info. you provided.

rmet4nzkx

PA recognized common law marriage until 1-1-5 so if they were together before that date she may be able to claim a common law marriage. SHe should consult a family law attorney, even if only to clarify custody and child support issues. He cannot evict her without due process.

bononos

rmet4nzkx said:
PA recognized common law marriage until 1-1-5 so if they were together before that date she may be able to claim a common law marriage. SHe should consult a family law attorney, even if only to clarify custody and child support issues. He cannot evict her without due process.
Thanks!
We read this:
http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe.jsp?query=pa+common+law+marriage&page=1&offset=1&result_url=redir?src=websearch&requestId=d302bd34c0f49d1e&clickedItemRank=1&userQuery=pa+common+law+marriage&clickedItemURN=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.benefitscounsel.com%2Farchives%2F001292.html&invocationType=-&fromPage=NSCPToolbarNS&ampTest=1&remove_url=http://www.benefitscounsel.com/archives/001292.html
And were a bit unclear on the common law.
They have been in an on and off relationship for 5 years.
Living together all but 1.5 yrs.
She needs to end it for good this time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">