• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time limitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CherylA

Is there a time limit for filing a case on child neglect in the state of IL? This happened in 1993, when my husband's X-wife was responsible for our daughter when she was 7. She left her alone for up to 6 hours and did not provide a babysitter. Thank you

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

CherylA said:
Is there a time limit for filing a case on child neglect in the state of IL? This happened in 1993, when my husband's X-wife was responsible for our daughter when she was 7. She left her alone for up to 6 hours and did not provide a babysitter. Thank you

My response:

Most everything in law has a remedy. And, as such, you realize there is a time limit for exercising such remedies.

But, make no mistake, and no matter how aggregious a civil matter might be, everything in law must come to a conclusion, either through settlement, litigation and judgment, or as a result of the "passage of time". The purpose of that is to foster and promote social harmony and not to continue neverending roundelays of litigation. That's why we have various "Statutes of Limitations".

While I'm not personally familiar with Illinois law, I can almost assure you that Illinois limitations periods do not extend for 8 years in such situations. If you had a Cause of Action at all, it's most assuredly over - - especially after such a lengthy lapse of time.

Hopefully, you'll confer with an attorney in your neck of the woods to confirm this opinion.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">