• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Toss ex girlfriend's stuff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Syd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

Came home early and caught bad behavior in my apartment. She's been out a week now and all her crap is packed up, taking up space, and really irritating me - but she will not come and get it. Texted and talked and agreed on times to pick it up and she doesn't show up.

Can I toss the trash out in the yard and tell her it's in the yard - come and get it?

Thanks

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

Came home early and caught bad behavior in my apartment. She's been out a week now and all her crap is packed up, taking up space, and really irritating me - but she will not come and get it. Texted and talked and agreed on times to pick it up and she doesn't show up.

Can I toss the trash out in the yard and tell her it's in the yard - come and get it?

Thanks
Short answer? No you may not "toss the crap".

Syd

She's not on the lease and voluntarily left.

Edit: I may have helped though...

E2: Well, how can I get rid of it?

Last edited:

ecmst12

Google your state's laws regarding abandoned property. You'll find that you have to be stuck with it for a lot longer than a week before you can do ANYTHING with it.

Syd

Looks like 180 days which is ridiculous. What if the "property" finds it's way to her mother's lawn? Or maybe packed up in front of whatever doorway to whatever complex she is residing?

I am not claiming the property. I am returning it to her or her family.

447.040. If no owner appear and prove the money or property within forty days, and the value exceed twenty dollars, the finder shall, within thirty days thereafter, cause a copy of the description to be inserted in some newspaper of general circulation, qualified pursuant to chapter 493, and located in the county where the money or property was found, once per week for three consecutive weeks; and if no owner prove the property within one hundred eighty days after such publication, the same shall vest in the finder.

Just Blue

Looks like 180 days which is ridiculous. What if the "property" finds it's way to her mother's lawn? Or maybe packed up in front of whatever doorway to whatever complex she is residing?

447.040. If no owner appear and prove the money or property within forty days, and the value exceed twenty dollars, the finder shall, within thirty days thereafter, cause a copy of the description to be inserted in some newspaper of general circulation, qualified pursuant to chapter 493, and located in the county where the money or property was found, once per week for three consecutive weeks; and if no owner prove the property within one hundred eighty days after such publication, the same shall vest in the finder.
Are you really so dumb? Really Now?:(

Ladyback1

And you don't allow her the opportunity to come back and make sure you packed up everything of hers, then she could be a PITA for the next year or so. You know "he kept my purple hello kitty hoodie" allegations.

My suggestion: Contact her, advise that you want her to get all of her stuff. Then figure out a time, and advise her you will not be there, but your trusted friend/family member will be. You don't want to see her, and she doesn't want to see you.
(and whether she's on the lease or not? You may have evicted her unlawfully)

anearthw

If it is stolen or damaged, it will be your bill (depreciated value, but bill nonetheless). Whatever bad behaviour she was up to (I'm sure we all understand what you mean), there are laws regulating "playing house", to prevent people from trashing people's things whenever they get upset.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

YOu didn't find it. You are ridiculous. If it finds its way to her mother's lawn and anything gets damaged expect to get sued and a court to make you pay.

Syd

I resolved it. Told her I would have a company itemize it, repack it, and put it in storage where she can go get it. Told her I would blow the money and the location of the storage would be as far south in Texas as I could find.

Whether legal or not, or whether I would do it or not, doesn't matter. She was here within the hour and got her stuff.

And no new girlfriend but thanks for your concern.

Proserpina

I resolved it. Told her I would have a company itemize it, repack it, and put it in storage where she can go get it. Told her I would blow the money and the location of the storage would be as far south in Texas as I could find.

Whether legal or not, or whether I would do it or not, doesn't matter. She was here within the hour and got her stuff.

And no new girlfriend but thanks for your concern.

Oh how I wish she'd sign up...

...oh, wait...how do we know that she didn't?

Hmmm.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">