• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

transfer of guardianship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chozu08

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ga
Ok here is my situation...my husband and I are currently stationed in ga (he is in the navy) and we have 4 kids. Now my sister lives in ct and she had her 4 kids taken by dcf a little over a year ago...when they were first taken away we still lived in ct and only had 3 kids at the time and dcf signed over temporary custody to us, but after 5 months my husband got his transfer orders for ga and we had to give them back to dcf and they are now in foster care. we have finally been settled down here for a year and dcf is now even fighting my mom for custody my sister's attorney said we are the kids only option to keep them in the family. dcf has already drawn up the papers to permenatly terminate my sisters rights meaning she is never allowed to have kids again. now the only way to stop that from happening and to keep them with family is for my husband and i to get guardianship transferred to us. this means we would be taking care of 8 kids under the age of 6. my question is if there are any gov programs that could help us out financially? its not that we are broke but when you add 4 kids to a 6 person family money is gonna get real tight and we wont be eligible for subsidized guardianship until they have been living with us for 6 months. we really want to help my sister and dont want to see our nieces and nephew gone forever...but we are also at a loss on how we are gonna make it with out any help...does anyone have any info on what we could do? :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">