• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it true common law marriage doesn't exist in MD?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

isis297

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

My aunt's boyfriend of 40 years or so is in the hospital on life support. His brother is refusing to let my aunt and cousin see him. I had hoped common law marriage would come into play and affect things, but it appears from my research it isn't recognized in MD. Is that true? Do they have any recourse at all? According to other family of his, they are mortified he is doing this, but I guess have no say. :(

Thanks.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

My aunt's boyfriend of 40 years or so is in the hospital on life support. His brother is refusing to let my aunt and cousin see him. I had hoped common law marriage would come into play and affect things, but it appears from my research it isn't recognized in MD. Is that true? Do they have any recourse at all? According to other family of his, they are mortified he is doing this, but I guess have no say. :(

Thanks.
No, you cannot create a common law marriage in Maryland.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are far more states that do not recognize common law marriages than that do, and even of the ones that do, many of them have restrictions. There is no such thing as a common law marriage in Maryland - that is true.

isis297

She isn't. He's been like her dad since she was 5...about 40 years. :(

Are there any other avenues my aunt can take? He's most likely going to die and my aunt and cousin aren't being given the chance to say good-bye to him, much less make any decisions as to his care.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">