• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to protect my mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

11Eleven11

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I have a former friend who is trying to buddy up to my mother for the purpose of obligating her to watch her two small children for her. My mother confided to me that she does not like to watch her kids but she feels like she has to because this "friend" already did all these favors for her and she feels bad saying no. This morning I sent her a text asking her politely to stop contacting my mother and she threatened to call the cops on me if I stalk her :rolleyes: .

The fact of the matter is, my mom is old and tired and she moved out here from NYC because back home, people were dumping kids on her all day long and she just got tired of it. Now I see it starting again with this "woman" and I want to put a stop to it. My mom lives in her own house and I told this "friend" that if I find her at my mom's, I'll call the cops on her too.

Am I within my rights to do this? What other options do I have to have this person leave my mother alone? Thank you.

ecmst12

And YOU could find yourself in trouble with the law if you start making threats. Your mom is a big girl, she can take care of herself.

nextwife

Perhaps you cold help mom schedule classes or senior activies to get her out of the house doing something daily? Many universities allow senior to audit for free or minimal. Or extension classes. Or programs at the Y.

If she's busy and out of the house the middle of every day or many days, she's unavailable to be dumped on.

ecmst12

Only if mom wants to. It appears that mom actually DOES want to watch this woman's children, since she keeps agreeing to it, even if she SAYS she doesn't.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I have a former friend who is trying to buddy up to my mother for the purpose of obligating her to watch her two small children for her. My mother confided to me that she does not like to watch her kids but she feels like she has to because this "friend" already did all these favors for her and she feels bad saying no. This morning I sent her a text asking her politely to stop contacting my mother and she threatened to call the cops on me if I stalk her :rolleyes: .

The fact of the matter is, my mom is old and tired and she moved out here from NYC because back home, people were dumping kids on her all day long and she just got tired of it. Now I see it starting again with this "woman" and I want to put a stop to it. My mom lives in her own house and I told this "friend" that if I find her at my mom's, I'll call the cops on her too.

Am I within my rights to do this? What other options do I have to have this person leave my mother alone? Thank you.
Your MOTHER is an adult. You have NO RIGHT to dictate who can be at your MOTHER'S home. Not. At. All. Your mother can do that for herself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">