• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Two Marriage Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NomadClassic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Hi All,

I would like to marry my girlfriend of one year. However a few things are in the way. She went to college and received a masters degree mostly on student loans. The main loan is for 60k and is a federal one, while she has a small credit card loan, and a small car loan.

I have perfect credit and little debt which brings me to the first question, will that debt show on my credit report after marriage? Ethically I would be responsible for the debt, but legally if were married and she cannot pay the debt am I required to pay on it?

Any my final question.

Being young and just out of college she does not have health coverage as she cannot afford it. Six months ago she was diagnosed with renal failure (I know rare for someone so young) She has dialysis three times a week. They say she has to have a transplant. Since she cannot afford health coverage and has little assets (lives with her parents) medicare/caid? is paying for the treatments and dialysis. I assume they also pay for the transplant.

Lets say were married, could they count my substantial assets in the equation and possibly take what would be our house/cars/boat etc? Since she would be down for weeks after the transplant and unable to work, would I have to take over the payments and pay for the procedure since my insurance would not cover it yet.

It would be the year waiting period before my health insurance kicks in for her pre-existing.

The problem is I do love her and want to live together, but it would be really hard if it would ruin me financially for the rest of our lives.

Thanks for your time!

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Hi All,

I would like to marry my girlfriend of one year. However a few things are in the way. She went to college and received a masters degree mostly on student loans. The main loan is for 60k and is a federal one, while she has a small credit card loan, and a small car loan.

I have perfect credit and little debt which brings me to the first question, will that debt show on my credit report after marriage? Ethically I would be responsible for the debt, but legally if were married and she cannot pay the debt am I required to pay on it?

Any my final question.

Being young and just out of college she does not have health coverage as she cannot afford it. Six months ago she was diagnosed with renal failure (I know rare for someone so young) She has dialysis three times a week. They say she has to have a transplant. Since she cannot afford health coverage and has little assets (lives with her parents) medicare/caid? is paying for the treatments and dialysis. I assume they also pay for the transplant.

Lets say were married, could they count my substantial assets in the equation and possibly take what would be our house/cars/boat etc? Since she would be down for weeks after the transplant and unable to work, would I have to take over the payments and pay for the procedure since my insurance would not cover it yet.

It would be the year waiting period before my health insurance kicks in for her pre-existing.

The problem is I do love her and want to live together, but it would be really hard if it would ruin me financially for the rest of our lives.

Thanks for your time!

wait for other seniors to clarify, but i'm pretty sure pre-marital debt (which is what her student loans are) is not your responisbility. debt occured during your marriage is.

if your health insurance does actually have a year waiting list, then possibly medicaid would take that into consideration while including your income. maybe they have a partial pay plan in your state.

you are not responsible for her payments. however, you could try to help pitch in to keep her afloat while she is recuperating. is she collecting or planning to collect disability? was she working at all prior?

NomadClassic

She has worked two jobs since graduating. However in her field everyone wants experience, and no one wants to give a full time job to save money. So she works over 40 hours a week between two places just to get experience and no over time. She does not receive or plan on getting disability.

I am assuming a year waiting period for the insurance. Im sure they would pay for anything thats no-exisitng immediately, but there has to be at least a six month period before they would cover pre-exisitngs.

Currently her mother does most of the paperwork for the various aids. I dont want anyone knowing my income until we are married, and then just her, and not her family. I am worried that we both may rack up hundreds of thousands of medical bills waiting for insurance and then be saddled with that cost for a long time, maybe enough to cause me to not afford the house im in forcing us to sell everything off and get an apartment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">