• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

U.S. & Foreign Passport Marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gkha

Hello Everyone,

I am currently residing in California and I have a U.S. passport. However my girlfriend has a foreign passport. She has been studying in the U.S. for 4-5 years already and we decided that should get married. Since she just graduated she is permitted to work in the U.S. for a 1 year work visa. However I am confused with the overall process. Can someone tell me the steps I should take so we can get married, will she be able to work here, does she need a green card, how long the process takes, what forms we need? Ultimately the our goal is to get married where she will be able to stay in the U.S. to work.

LdiJ

Hello Everyone,

I am currently residing in California and I have a U.S. passport. However my girlfriend has a foreign passport. She has been studying in the U.S. for 4-5 years already and we decided that should get married. Since she just graduated she is permitted to work in the U.S. for a 1 year work visa. However I am confused with the overall process. Can someone tell me the steps I should take so we can get married, will she be able to work here, does she need a green card, how long the process takes, what forms we need? Ultimately the our goal is to get married where she will be able to stay in the U.S. to work.
Your best bet to make this work would be to hire an immigration attorney for her.

ecmst12

And if she can get a green card on her own WITHOUT you needing to sponsor her, that is better for everyone!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">