• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unlawful marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lalawi

We live in Colorado. My sister just found out that her so-called ex-husband was already married when he married her. They wed in Feb 2004 and it turns out he was not legally divorced until Oct 2004. They divorced and my sister had to pay for classes and court fees... turns out they could not have been legally married. Does anyone know what her next step is or what she can do as far as making him accountable for his fraud and attempting to recover all the time and fees paid for a divorce?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
We live in Colorado. My sister just found out that her so-called ex-husband was already married when he married her. They wed in Feb 2004 and it turns out he was not legally divorced until Oct 2004. They divorced and my sister had to pay for classes and court fees... turns out they could not have been legally married. Does anyone know what her next step is or what she can do as far as making him accountable for his fraud and attempting to recover all the time and fees paid for a divorce?
The marriage has already ended. There is no further recourse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">