• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unmarried Couple and Baby in Danger

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

claudia83

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Los Angeles County, CA

My brother and his girlfriend had an unplanned pregnancy and decided to follow through. The mother is an illegal immigrant who lived with her parents, 5 siblings and 10 pets. During her pregnancy, she became irritable with too many people in her parents home and became allergic to pet dander. My brother is living with my parents and my mother offered to move her in and bought her maternity clothes. Since she is illegal, she is unable to work, so my parents and brother have been supporting her and the child.

Once the child was born, they knew they couldn't afford to move out since my brother was the sole provider and she could not work, so my parents extended their offer for them to stay and help her with the child because she had no clue what to do.

She became bored being a stay at home mom and many times would walk to several "male friends houses" dragging the child out at all hours of the day/night while my brother worked whatever shift he could to support his family. They never got married because my brother knew she only wanted him to fix her papers and he didn't want to marry her if he knew she was only going to divorce him when her citizenship was acquired (again, the baby was an 'accident' - not planned).

She has become increasingly depressed, sleeps while my mother or my dad watch the baby, has been showing signs of anger and aggression (she had a cussing/screaming fit at 1am this morning) and scaring the baby. She had wanted to visit her aunt in the evening with the baby who is still sick with a fever and cold (it is raining and 57º here) and my brother said no because the baby is sick and she said she will take the baby regardless of what he thinks and/or if the child is sick. My sister is an LVN and advised her that it would be putting the child at risk of getting sick (he's 7months old) and she began to yell at her too, verbally abusing my brother and screaming while the baby cried. My brother called her mother and the mother said she would be taking her and the child.

The child has my brothers name. I realize that she is an illegal immigrant and that won't matter and since they are not married, my brother cannot do much. But if the child is in danger with a depressive/violent mother, who also doesn't care the child is ill, can something be done?

My sister called me saying she has locked herself in the room and won't open the door and there's a ton of shuffling and moving around in the room. She says she can hear the baby whimper and she's afraid for the childs life.

Question: Is there anything the father can do to prohibit her from taking off with the child?

Last edited:

Isis1

I'm sorry, posted rather quickly; Question: Is there anything the father can do to prohibit her from taking off with the child?
dad can file to establish paternity/custody/visitation/support.

if the paternal grandmother was scared for the life of the baby behind the locked door, why did she not call the police?

Gracie3787

When he files, he should request a GAL be appointed, and ask for a mental eval to be done on the mother. From your post, the mother appears to have alot of signs of depression, possibly post partum, and it really should be checked out for the child's safety,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">