• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid child support or inheritance rights to abandoned child - now an adult?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lovely212

What is the name of your state? FL
My mother conceived a child with a man (causcasian) other her husband/my father (black) when I was 3 years old. My parents fought/she left with the second born. I met her one other time, for a moment, when I was 6. I was told that she had moved to Holland. (her homeland) It turns out she stayed in the US, remarried, and became wealthy. Now, we have met and reunited, rather superficially, but have not worked through the abandonment details. Am I entitled to back child support, or anything, from her? While she was cruising the world I was being abused, beaten, ravaged, and fighting roaches for crumbs in Harlem. I recovered after many difficult years...but somehow, it just seems like a mother shouldn't be able to walk away from her child, even if I was half black, for an entire lifetime and not be held responsible for making up to me, somehow, what kind of life I should have been able to have, had she not abandoned me......????:confused:What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

TinkerBelleLuvr

Am I entitled to back child support, or anything, from her?
If there was a child support order, arrearages belong to your dad.

As for you, our parent owe us NOTHING. Anything we receive from our parents are GIFTS.

Lovely212

thank you and follow up

Thanks to ALL of you for your time and expertise in offering the info and insights, both legal and moral, just have to verify because others (I know, NOT people with legal expertise!) insist I double check, I will not even inherit anything when she passes on? Under any circumstances?
Lovely212

If there was a child support order, arrearages belong to your dad.

As for you, our parent owe us NOTHING. Anything we receive from our parents are GIFTS.

Just Blue

Thanks to ALL of you for your time and expertise in offering the info and insights, both legal and moral, just have to verify because others (I know, NOT people with legal expertise!) insist I double check, I will not even inherit anything when she passes on? Under any circumstances?
Lovely212
If she chooses to leave you something, yes...but that would be her choice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">