• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unsure what to do first

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oliviamarie_02

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I have been in a serious relationship for the same man for seven years. We own a home, an automobile, and have many other joint accounts. I am looking into what it would take to break this all apart evenly? I am not even sure where to begin.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I have been in a serious relationship for the same man for seven years. We own a home, an automobile, and have many other joint accounts. I am looking into what it would take to break this all apart evenly? I am not even sure where to begin.
Owning things jointly when unmarried is a major problem. There is no simple way to split things up if you cannot agree...so the key is to come to agreements if at all possible.

Odds are you should probably sell the home and split the proceeds, unless one of you could qualify for enough of a mortgage, on your own, to refi the principal and to buy out the other's half of the equity. The automobile is more complex if you are still making payments. Generally automobiles are upside down unless you are close to paying it off, so they are difficult to refinance. The car should likely be kept by whomever can best afford the payments.

Other accounts should be divided equally...paying off all joint debt first...and if there isn't enough case to pay off the debt, then the house definitely should be sold and the proceeds used for the debt, before dividing anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">