• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unwed parents living together now splitting up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blairert

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? new york
i have lived with the father of my children for 10yrs now and it is time to leave and i want to move out of state to start fresh . he cant afford to work and support the children as i am disabled and can stay at home with them .
he did sign papers sayin he is the father but does not offer much in the household upkeep for the bills or even being there for me or the kids. he stays out all night quite alot and he is saying he wont let me leave state is there anything i can do

mistoffolees

You can leave, he can file to have the court order the children returned.
Just one clarification. That assumes that the papers he signed are legal documents establishing paternity. If not, then he will need to establish paternity first.

I'm amazed at the thinking process of some people. Let's see if we can figure this out:
- She's lived with him for 10 years
- She is disabled and can't work
- He hasn't contributed to household upkeep or paying bills
- "He can't afford to work and support the children"

So who is paying the bills? I doubt very much if disability income (if any) is enough to support all of them. I'm guessing that a lot of important information has been left out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">