• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VA common law marriage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jaa4d

What is the name of your state? VA

Does the state of VA recognize a common law marriage? If so, how long must the couple portray themselves as man and wife?

VG1013

jaa4d said:
What is the name of your state? VA

Does the state of VA recognize a common law marriage? If so, how long must the couple portray themselves as man and wife?
~~~Kats right. Virginia does not recognize common-law marriage. The only way Virginia will recognize a common law marriage is if you were married in a state that did recognize a common law marriage, and then moved to Virginia.

J

jaa4d

Were common law marriages ever recognized in VA? Or is this something that a recent law has done away with? Just curious.

C

cyana

From About.com

1. Common law marriages are recognized by: Alabama, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, New Hampshire, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah and Washington, D.C.

2. Some of these have restrictions and only recognize common law marriages performed by a certain date: Georgia, January 1, 1997; Idaho, January 1, 1996; Ohio, October 10, 1991.

3. New Hampshire only recognizes common law marriages for probate purposes.

==========================================
This information was consistent with what I found on the Nolo.com site.

So if VA *EVER* recognized "common law marriage" I think it would logically have to predate Ohio's October 10,1991. That is, unless you had a valid "common law marriage" in another state as VG said and then moved to VA.

Last edited:
J

jaa4d

Thank you for the reply. That information was very informative.

B

bwbuer

Common Law

I know that common law existing in Va in 1988 and prior as of to date those who fall under the date above are grandfathered under the common law marriage.

This I know as our neighbors have been together 20 years and are considered grandfathered because it did exist before then I do not know when it changed. It was still in effect in 1992

I live in VA

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">