+ Reply to Thread
    jaa4d Guest

VA common law marriage?

What is the name of your state? VA

Does the state of VA recognize a common law marriage? If so, how long must the couple portray themselves as man and wife?
    kat1963 is offline Senior Member
    There is no common law marriage in Virginia.

KAT
    VG1013 is offline Member

Re: VA common law marriage?

Originally posted by jaa4d
    What is the name of your state? VA

Does the state of VA recognize a common law marriage? If so, how long must the couple portray themselves as man and wife?
    ~~~Kats right. Virginia does not recognize common-law marriage. The only way Virginia will recognize a common law marriage is if you were married in a state that did recognize a common law marriage, and then moved to Virginia.
    jaa4d Guest
    Were common law marriages ever recognized in VA? Or is this something that a recent law has done away with? Just curious.
    cyana Guest
    From About.com

1. Common law marriages are recognized by: Alabama, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, New Hampshire, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah and Washington, D.C.

2. Some of these have restrictions and only recognize common law marriages performed by a certain date: Georgia, January 1, 1997; Idaho, January 1, 1996; Ohio, October 10, 1991.

3. New Hampshire only recognizes common law marriages for probate purposes.

==========================================
    This information was consistent with what I found on the Nolo.com site.

So if VA *EVER* recognized "common law marriage" I think it would logically have to predate Ohio's October 10,1991. That is, unless you had a valid "common law marriage" in another state as VG said and then moved to VA.
    Last edited by cyana; 09-22-2003 at 01:17 PM.
    jaa4d Guest
    Thank you for the reply. That information was very informative.
    bwbuer Guest

Common Law

I know that common law existing in Va in 1988 and prior as of to date those who fall under the date above are grandfathered under the common law marriage.

This I know as our neighbors have been together 20 years and are considered grandfathered because it did exist before then I do not know when it changed. It was still in effect in 1992

I live in VA