• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation out of country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Daneseaj

My ex-husband and I have joint custody but he has primary residence. My fiance is Japanese and I have a chance to take my kids to see the world this summer. I am afraid that my ex will object (due only to jealousy). Can he stop me from vacationing outside the US with my kids? Is there anything I can due to prepare for any objection before plans are made and he does something at the last minute?

U

Ukiah

Daneseaj said:
Can he stop me from vacationing outside the US with my kids? Is there anything I can due to prepare for any objection before plans are made and he does something at the last minute?
Since he has primary residence of the child(ren), you may find it necessary to petition the courts for permission.

If your court ordered visitation papers state that you have a certain amount of time during the summer, It is suggested you do the traveling within that time.

Check your papers to see if there is a statement in them that gives you right to travel during summer vacation with the children, if so, then you need to put it in writing to notify your X, mail it return receipt to his last known address. Include dates which you are leaving and returning.

If you have spoken with the CP, and he doesn't approve, you may find it necessary to petition the courts for approval to travel. When you go to court, let it be known that you do not plan to move, and will have the children back on a specific date. Even suggest to the Judge that you are willing to exchange time with Dad to extend this opportunity to show the children different culture(s), i.e.; Him having them all of Christmas vacation this year, or Easter vacation this year (or next)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">