• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Value of marital home depreciated, now what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

janelc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
I divorced in April 2007. At the time, we both agreed my ex-husband would be paid the equity in the home when our child turned 18 or graduated from High School. He never signed a Quit Claim Deed, so my ex is still on the mortgage. My son is 17, so I decided to try and refinance so I can pay off my ex, interest rates our low and (didn't realize at the time, my ex added to the divorce decree I have to pay him 3.5% interest on the total amt. owed yearly until I pay him off.)
My house was appraised last week $72,000 less that what it was appraised at the time of the divorce. I can't even borrow enough money to give him even half of what I owe him.
Can I get family court to adjust this due to the market? Is this a losing battle and a waste of court fees?
I would love to get some opinions, Thanks

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
I divorced in April 2007. At the time, we both agreed my ex-husband would be paid the equity in the home when our child turned 18 or graduated from High School. He never signed a Quit Claim Deed, so my ex is still on the mortgage. My son is 17, so I decided to try and refinance so I can pay off my ex, interest rates our low and (didn't realize at the time, my ex added to the divorce decree I have to pay him 3.5% interest on the total amt. owed yearly until I pay him off.)
My house was appraised last week $72,000 less that what it was appraised at the time of the divorce. I can't even borrow enough money to give him even half of what I owe him.
Can I get family court to adjust this due to the market? Is this a losing battle and a waste of court fees?
I would love to get some opinions, Thanks
Based on the current market situation it does not surprise me that your home is appraising at significantly less than it was appraising at in early 2007.

I would get a consult with a local attorney (I am not suggesting that you necessarily need to hire one at this point, just consult with one) to go over your divorce decree and to see if you have any options.

nextwife

If it were now worth $50,000 MORE than it was at divorce, how much would you believe you should pay him? The amount in the divorce agreement, or the newer value?

Nextwife makes a lot of sense. The market could have gone up or it could have gone down. It seems most fair to use the equity amount as of the date of the decree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">