• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

verbal assault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlvernon

What is the name of your state? virginia
I was in a verbal altercation with my sister-in-law over the telephone who is now saying that she is going to charge me with verbal assault due to the profanity that I used with her. Is this a legitimate charge? Thank You

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? virginia
I was in a verbal altercation with my sister-in-law over the telephone who is now saying that she is going to charge me with verbal assault due to the profanity that I used with her. Is this a legitimate charge? Thank You
Ummm, she could file a complaint. But whether anything would come of it, depends on how BORED the DA is and how horrible your "profanity" was as well as what else is alleged that you said.

nextwife

Good grief.

I don't like profanity either, but I can't believe anyone would bother the legal system over some name calling. This is NOT "hate speech" after all.

proud_parent

Is this a legitimate charge?
Did you threaten your sister-in-law with immediate physical harm? If so, did you have the ability to act on the threat? (Unless you were phoning her from across the hall, I would guess not.)

assault 1) v. the threat or attempt to strike another, whether successful or not, provided the target is aware of the danger. The assaulter must be reasonably capable of carrying through the attack. In some states if the assault is with a deadly weapon (such as sniping with a rifle), the intended victim does not need to know of the peril. Other state laws distinguish between different degrees (first or second) of assault depending on whether there is actual hitting, injury or just a threat. "Aggravated assault" is an attack connected with the commission of another crime, such as beating a clerk during a robbery. 2) n. the act of committing an assault, as in "there was an assault down on Third Avenue." Assault is both a criminal wrong, for which one may be charged and tried, and civil wrong for which the target may sue for damages due to the assault, including for mental distress.

Copyright © 1981-2005 by Gerald N. Hill and Kathleen T. Hill. All Right reserved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">