+ Reply to Thread

Thread: verbal assault

jlvernon is offline Junior Member

verbal assault

What is the name of your state? virginia
    I was in a verbal altercation with my sister-in-law over the telephone who is now saying that she is going to charge me with verbal assault due to the profanity that I used with her. Is this a legitimate charge? Thank You
    Ohiogal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlvernon View Post
    What is the name of your state? virginia
    I was in a verbal altercation with my sister-in-law over the telephone who is now saying that she is going to charge me with verbal assault due to the profanity that I used with her. Is this a legitimate charge? Thank You
    Ummm, she could file a complaint. But whether anything would come of it, depends on how BORED the DA is and how horrible your "profanity" was as well as what else is alleged that you said.
    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
    nextwife is offline Senior Member
    Good grief.

I don't like profanity either, but I can't believe anyone would bother the legal system over some name calling. This is NOT "hate speech" after all.
    proud_parent is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlvernon View Post
    Is this a legitimate charge?
    Did you threaten your sister-in-law with immediate physical harm? If so, did you have the ability to act on the threat? (Unless you were phoning her from across the hall, I would guess not.)

assault 1) v. the threat or attempt to strike another, whether successful or not, provided the target is aware of the danger. The assaulter must be reasonably capable of carrying through the attack. In some states if the assault is with a deadly weapon (such as sniping with a rifle), the intended victim does not need to know of the peril. Other state laws distinguish between different degrees (first or second) of assault depending on whether there is actual hitting, injury or just a threat. "Aggravated assault" is an attack connected with the commission of another crime, such as beating a clerk during a robbery. 2) n. the act of committing an assault, as in "there was an assault down on Third Avenue." Assault is both a criminal wrong, for which one may be charged and tried, and civil wrong for which the target may sue for damages due to the assault, including for mental distress.

Copyright 1981-2005 by Gerald N. Hill and Kathleen T. Hill. All Right reserved.
    jlvernon is offline Junior Member
    I did not threaten her, although she did threaten to come to my work place kick my you know what.