• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

warrant for child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dpebbles1211

What is the name of your state? New York.
If there is a warrant for your arrest for unpaid child support what are the procedures you should use to settle this in court. Or do they arrest you. The person does not have a job presently to pay child support.

H

hmmbrdzz

If the person wants to avoid the trouble that can come from an outstanding warrant for their arrest, they need to call an attorneys office to attempt to get some legal advice, or they need to call the court house and find out what they are supposed to do to get this warrant served so they can appear in court on this issue. If they are attempting to avoid being served this warrant as a means to not have to go to court, then they will continue to subject to arrest for the rest of their life.

hmmbrdzz

Grace_Adler

In many states, they do not come arrest you for failure to pay. Some do but I think they are few. I do not know if NY is one of them.

In many states, the normal procedure is to summon the NCP to court for a hearing to show cause ( show cause for failure to comply with a court order). Then if they find you guilty they will impose whatever punishment the law allows i.e., jail time, fines, suspending or revoking licenses, ect.

If one is served and they don't show up, then they can issue a bench warrent for failure to appear. I think the bail for that is either the full amount of the child support or a portion of it.

If there is a warrent out the person should consult with a lawyer quickly to see how they can settle this matter. Chances are, the person is going to need one because I have found that CSE doesn't work well with people without one.

If they don't have a job they need to find one quickly and petition the court to modify the amount of support until they are able to get caught up and attempt to make a payment arrangement with CSE to pay the amount plus a little extra each month for the arrears.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">