• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

(Washington State) Girl friend's claim to my property/belongings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rixter

Washington State Question:

Firstly is this considered a "marriage-like" relationship?
- Dated for 2 years
- Lives with me around 5 days a week on average
- Lives with her parents the other days
- Some of her personal belongings are at my place (clothes, daily consumables)
- No joint account of any sort. Money is self managed

If my girl friend breaks up with me after living with me for a few years, does she have any right to claim any of my rent/property/belongings?
- She does not pay for the rent/mortgage
- She only has her own personal belongings (which she is free to take)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Washington State Question:

Firstly is this considered a "marriage-like" relationship?
- Dated for 2 years
- Lives with me around 5 days a week on average
- Lives with her parents the other days
- Some of her personal belongings are at my place (clothes, daily consumables)
- No joint account of any sort. Money is self managed

If my girl friend breaks up with me after living with me for a few years, does she have any right to claim any of my rent/property/belongings?
- She does not pay for the rent/mortgage
- She only has her own personal belongings (which she is free to take)
Do a Google search for "committed intimate relationship" Washington State (including the quotes), then read up.

rixter

Do a Google search for "committed intimate relationship" Washington State (including the quotes), then read up.
Thanks! So from what I'm reading in this blurb:
"Once a court determines that a committed intimate relationship exists, the court must make a just and equitable distribution of property. When doing so, the court will apply the principals of community property by analogy. (See Community Property Tab) The court may only divide property that would be considered community property if the parties were married. This includes all real or personal property purchased by one or both parties using funds earned during the relationship; contributions to any retirement accounts made during the relationship and the increase in value related to those contributions; pensions earned during the relationship. The court has no authority to divide either party’s separate assets."

I am confused about the "funds earned during relationship" does that mean: on the start of the relationship, the money that I earn and I use to purchase a home (note that we are using 0 of her funds), is that property eligible for division then?

Zigner

"Once a court determines that a committed intimate relationship exists, the court must make a just and equitable distribution of property. When doing so, the court will apply the principals of community property by analogy. (See Community Property Tab) The court may only divide property that would be considered community property if the parties were married. This includes all real or personal property purchased by one or both parties using funds earned during the relationship; contributions to any retirement accounts made during the relationship and the increase in value related to those contributions; pensions earned during the relationship. The court has no authority to divide either party’s separate assets."

I am confused about the "funds earned during relationship" does that mean: on the start of the relationship, the money that I earn and I use to purchase a home (note that we are using 0 of her funds), is that property eligible for division then?
The best any of us can give you is this: It depends.

Silverplum

The bolded will depend upon whether you are dumb enough to add her to the title of the home.

Zigner

The bolded will depend upon whether you are dumb enough to add her to the title of the home.
Not necessarily - it's possible that the money that is earned while they are together is considered both of theirs. Do that Google search. Washington is funky (and that's coming from a California guy - we're the height of funky.)

Silverplum

Not necessarily - it's possible that the money that is earned while they are together is considered both of theirs. Do that Google search. Washington is funky (and that's coming from a California guy - we're the height of funky.)
Totally funk-AY. :eek: Thank you for the lesson. (note to self: WA is funky.)

I found this: "At the end of a committed intimate relationship, the court will divide only community property and debts. All property acquired during the relationship is presumed to be community property. The exception to this presumption is property acquired by gift or inheritance, which is separate property even if acquired during the relationship.

Property acquired before the relationship or following separation is also presumed to be separate in nature. Such property is not subject to division. The exception to this rule is where separate property is improved by community funds (for example, one member of the relationship remodels the kitchen in his or her partner's home). In such cases, the community may be entitled to reimbursement."

http://www.mckinleyirvin.com/Family-Law-Blog/2013/February/Rights-When-Ending-Intimate-Committed-Relationsh.aspx

Dude can't even buy a house now and continue the relationship till it reaches its Inevitable Conclusion.

rixter

So does that mean I should just break up, get a new house, then get back into relationship? ;) lol.

But yeah thanks guys

LdiJ

So does that mean I should just break up, get a new house, then get back into relationship? ;) lol.

But yeah thanks guys
It only means something if she would actually try to make a claim against you...and you would have an equal claim to her assets as well.

ecmst12

Did you ACTUALLY live together or she just stayed with you some days while maintaining her residence elsewhere?

rixter

Her residency would still be her home with parents.

She lives with me on average for 5 days. I only have my name on the tenant agreement

Zigner

Her residency would still be her home with parents.

She lives with me on average for 5 days. I only have my name on the tenant agreement
If she lives at your place for 5 days out of the week, then she lives there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">