• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

We have been reported for abuse, now what do we do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

octsmom87

Hi, I live in Idaho and am trying to find the code that covers reporting suspected child abuse. We were reported yesterday by a teacher because my child said I had hit her and she bled. I understand a teacher is required to report it, but is that with no qualifications? Anytime a child says something the police must be called with out any more prove then that the child said it. My child is 13 and is under a doctors care for a mental illness. One of the signs of her illness is saying and doing things to gain attention. The teacher was very aware of the childs condition. Do I have any recourse to keep it from happening again?

Thanks
Octsmom
[email protected]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

octsmom87 said:
Hi, I live in Idaho and am trying to find the code that covers reporting suspected child abuse. We were reported yesterday by a teacher because my child said I had hit her and she bled. I understand a teacher is required to report it, but is that with no qualifications? Anytime a child says something the police must be called with out any more prove then that the child said it. My child is 13 and is under a doctors care for a mental illness. One of the signs of her illness is saying and doing things to gain attention. The teacher was very aware of the childs condition. Do I have any recourse to keep it from happening again?

Thanks
Octsmom
[email protected]
My response:

Unfortunately, sometimes parents get reported to Child Protective Services when nothing, in reality, has happened. That's why investigations take place. A teacher, as you know, has a responsibility to report such claims without having to investigate. That's up to CPS to do.

Most often, children don't have "proof" and are not required to have any "proof" other than their words - - and, under the law, that's all that is required for an investigation. Remember, not all abuse is "physical" with blood, or bruising. Sometimes abuse is emotional.

When the investigation is complete, and you are cleared of any wrongdoing, the matter will be dropped.

No, CPS must investigate each and every time a report is made - - no matter the mental state of the child perceived to be in danger. Our Child Protection laws are in effect to protect those who are weak or who cannot speak for themselves. These laws are designed to "err on the side of safety" because society jealously guards and attempts to protect all of our little and defenseless citizens - - our children.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

O

octsmom87

Thanks for your reply. I figured that was probably the case, but surely there must be some leeway built in. My child has threatened to slash her wrist,overdose on drugs, (actually was running around the school taking something, which later proved to be asprin, and to harm other people and the teachers/school choose not to report any of that.

Also do I now call the police everytime my child comes home and says she was threatened or kicked or hurt in some way by a teacher at our school? Knowing fully that this is a sign of her illness? Am I suppose to go back and report the teacher who said she only physically restrained her, but my child said she was hurt. I don't mean to sound vinditive, but truly want to know will I be in trouble for recoginizing her illness and refusing to allow her to gain control of me or someone else through it by not reporting what I believe to be untrue. Please understand that if I thought for one second there was any truth to this I would certainly being doing something different. According to what you are saying the teacher had no recourse even though she had no signs and every reason to believe it was not true.
As a parent do I have that responsibility? Should I allow my child to destroy someone's career because she can't help it. Please understand we live in a small community. There are no secrets here. If such an accusation is made against a teacher it is almost a certainty that the teacher will not be teaching here in the future. Although they may not be fired out right some how they will end up leaving and chances are our school system will not support them. I seen it happen with several teachers over the years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">