• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To Wed Or Not

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NomadClassic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Hi,

I lost my job of ten years to the economy. I had excellent health insurance. We had set a wedding date for later this year and had the bridal shower before this happened.

The soon to be bride requires some medication that is costly, and is on medicade and medicare. She does not make much money so they help her with the costs. I work odd jobs or whatever I can find. If we marry they would combine our income and she could possibly lose her coverage due to an income increase. I can barely make enough right now to keep the house so I cant pay for coverage out of pocket.

The church is already booked, the photographer, etc. Right now its either go with it or cancel everything. Parents will pay for the wedding.

My priest said he might be able to marry us according to the church so we can do everything. He then said we can file the papers with the state at another date after I get another stable job. However, when filed with the state this would be our actual legal marriage date, until then it is marriage by the church only.

This seems okay to me, but seems a little fishy. Is this legal, and okay to do?

I have waited so long to be married, I hate to cancel it!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Hi,

I lost my job of ten years to the economy. I had excellent health insurance. We had set a wedding date for later this year and had the bridal shower before this happened.

The soon to be bride requires some medication that is costly, and is on medicade and medicare. She does not make much money so they help her with the costs. I work odd jobs or whatever I can find. If we marry they would combine our income and she could possibly lose her coverage due to an income increase. I can barely make enough right now to keep the house so I cant pay for coverage out of pocket.

The church is already booked, the photographer, etc. Right now its either go with it or cancel everything. Parents will pay for the wedding.

My priest said he might be able to marry us according to the church so we can do everything. He then said we can file the papers with the state at another date after I get another stable job. However, when filed with the state this would be our actual legal marriage date, until then it is marriage by the church only.

This seems okay to me, but seems a little fishy. Is this legal, and okay to do?

I have waited so long to be married, I hate to cancel it!
Its perfectly legal to have a religious marriage, but not a legal marriage. You won't be married in the eyes of the state, but its not illegal.

You however would have to get married a second time, legally. Its not just a question of turning in papers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">