• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

At what age can a child make a legal descion as to where they would like to live?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lovfry

I have a Son that will be turing 14 in December and he lives in New York City. I have tried just about everything I could to get custody of him. But, nothing has seem to work thus far. At what age can a child make a legal descion as to where they would like to live and the courts will stand by it? Also, what steps need to be taken to do this?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

E

erev46

I believe most judges will listen to a 14 year old. The judge will also look at all the other issue's involving the child, most of all you motives in wanting a change of custody and your ability to prove a meaningful, safe enviroment for him.
You don't mention whether you are the mother or the father. Regardless of gender, as the non-custodial parent, be prepared to defend a position that does not give the impression you want to change custody so you will not have to pay child support or any of the other expenses involved with child visitation.

Good luck

T

toolong

Legal age for a child

My daughter is 16 and wants to leave home. What are the legal ramifications? Does anyone really know?

L

lovfry

Thank You for your reply.

I am the father of a 13, will be 14 12/22/01, that has had major problems in school. His grades over the past 8 years have been a nightmare. I have tried reasoning with his mother, but to no avail. I have a daughter that's 12 and she is doing well in school.
I think that the change of environment and restructure would help him in his studies.

I would like to get my son for educational purpose. I don't want to change or get sole custody. I just want to give him a chance.

Thanks again in advance for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">