• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

At what age can a Child make their own living/housing decisions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Samurai1833

At what age can a Child make their own living/housing decisions? State of Minnesota

I have a single parent female friend (a) who wants to take a female child (b) out of an abusive environment, the household the non-custodial parent. The child is staying with (a) currently (1 week so far.)

The Custodial parent (c - mother) has no opinion and is willing to allow her 15 year old daughter to live with anyone if it does not affect her life adversely.

The non-custodial parent (d - father) has been increasingly verbally abusive and has exhibited questionable behaviors that are inappropriate to discuss here, the child has lived with the non-custodial parent for about a year. In that time the minor has resided with various relatives and others. These behaviors prompted this arrangement.

The child is no angel, but has responded well to the new household with improved behavior and maturity. She is very intelligent, responsible and warm in this new environment this could be the turning point of her life. She may feel wanted for the first time.

Person A is willing to provide as if the child is one of her own without any financial/legal claim on either parent. However, her resources are limited as she has two other adopted children

What rights, if any do each of the four individuals a, b, c, & d have?

Do we need to pursue "Emancipation" for this minor, Is this the right legal terminology?

What pitfalls should (a) expect?

What approach is best to produce an outcome that has; (a) as the guardian/provider for the child, no recourse from (d) the hostile father, and ultimately the best situation for (b) the child?

Last edited:

B

beat goes on

My advice is to speak with an attorney. I wouldnot however proceede with adiption yet. I am sure the girl is responding to the love of your friend but give her time to feel comfortable with her. Teenagers go through some pretty toughtimes. IF the daughter is emancipated the parents will nto be financilly r4esponswible for her. Your friend would most likely bear the burden herself. Are either parent willing to help her financially with the child? JUst remember that in itself can be aproblem. It sounds as though the girl needsw to be awaqy form both parents, get herself into some heavy duty counseling and for your friend to continue being the loving person she is. This is a real tough one. I commend and thank your friend for having th elove and the desire to help a child in need. ther shoudl be more poeple likie her. Good Luck. Let us know wht happened.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">