• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What age can I leave my children unattended?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

polymath

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

Is it legal to leave my chldren, ages 10, 9, 7, and 3, alone for 10 minutes to drive 1 mile to the store and get a couple necessities? I trust my oldest two for this amount of time to keep an eye on the youngest and not burn the house down.

Antigone*

Is it legal to leave my chldren, ages 10, 9, 7, and 3, alone for 10 minutes to drive 1 mile to the store and get a couple necessities? I trust my oldest two for this amount of time to keep an eye on the youngest and not burn the house down.
A lot can happen in ten minutes. Do not do it

Legal or not... it's pure laziness on your part.
A responsible parent would say, why take the risk?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
IMO, depending on the child, the 10 year old is BARELY getting to the point where that would be ok. It is definitely NOT ok to expect the 10 year old to watch 3 younger children.

IMO, depending on the child, the 10 year old is BARELY getting to the point where that would be ok. It is definitely NOT ok to expect the 10 year old to watch 3 younger children.
I agree with that as well.

Also, this is one of those situations that if you have to ask, that means yopu know it's a bad idea.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

If the police were to knock on the door while you were gone what would the children do?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Here is the thing -- it may not be illegal but it COULD easily fall under neglect when it comes to CSB and your children could be removed.

polymath

No offense but I'm looking for a legal answer. Our children are trustworthy for that amount of time. My wife and mother, of course come down on the neglectful side of the argument. Any responsible male attorneys with children wanna weigh in?

You Are Guilty

No offense but I'm looking for a legal answer. Our children are trustworthy for that amount of time. My wife and mother, of course come down on the neglectful side of the argument. Any responsible male attorneys with children wanna weigh in?
Although this barely dignifies a response, when I worked for CPS, I prosecuted parents (for neglect) for doing exactly as you propose. "But what can possibly happen in 10 minutes?" never worked as a defense.

polymath

Mothers tend to be more protective, which can color their opinion. Again, I'm looking for the legal answer. I can get 12 opinions in my neighborhood.

We live in the country in a small subdivision containing 6 homes. My children are close with all the neighbors, whom I trust. If we lived in an urban setting with drug dealers on the corner, I wouldn't even consider it.

Last edited by a moderator:

polymath

My grandfather's 3rd grade teacher used to let all the boys bring their squirrel rifles to school during hunting season. I'm talking about 10 minutes. I know their are million things that COULD happen in those 10 minutes, but newsflash, we cannot remove all risk from our kids lives. And yes, I'm such an ASS that I don't require my children to wear those stupid sissy bike helmets that don't do a damn thing when they break their wrist from breaking their fall when they wreck.:)

Antigone*

Look OP,

You got answers from attorneys (both male and female). You got damned straight and accurate answers from other eduated members of this forum as well.

If you want to leave your kids alone for an hour or for 10 minutes, go right ahead, no skin off our backs. When something does happen to your children remember this forum and the advice you got.:mad:

eta...I hope and pray you never ever have to sit next to a hospital bed where your child lies due to injuries sustained because you were gone for "10 minutes". I don't wish that on my worst enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">