• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what am i entitled to?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yankee51

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

my ex. fiancee and i broke off our engagement 2 months before the wedding. we have been together for 5 years and for a little over 3 years of that we have been living together. We bought furniture and a tv, I paid half ($3,000 cash). We also had a joint account and both of our names are on the reg. for my car but i paid the car payments. 65% of my income was directly deposited into the account. he paid all the bills from the account and i stupidly didnt keep track of what he was doing. when i looked into it there was over $9,000 gone from our account that was lost on online poker sites.... the rest of my income went towards the wedding... I paid for the wedding myself and 8,000 of it was non-refundable.

I guess my question is being that we had a joint account and i paid for half the tv and furniture am i entitled to it?(my half) there was no written contract, or am i entitled to anything for that matter, or did i just take a major loss and have to start from scratch with nothing?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

my ex. fiancee and i broke off our engagement 2 months before the wedding. we have been together for 5 years and for a little over 3 years of that we have been living together. We bought furniture and a tv, I paid half ($3,000 cash). We also had a joint account and both of our names are on the reg. for my car but i paid the car payments. 65% of my income was directly deposited into the account. he paid all the bills from the account and i stupidly didnt keep track of what he was doing. when i looked into it there was over $9,000 gone from our account that was lost on online poker sites.... the rest of my income went towards the wedding... I paid for the wedding myself and 8,000 of it was non-refundable.

I guess my question is being that we had a joint account and i paid for half the tv and furniture am i entitled to it?(my half) there was no written contract, or am i entitled to anything for that matter, or did i just take a major loss and have to start from scratch with nothing?
You are entitled to whatever a court awards you quite frankly. Whose name is on the car? And the car loan? If your name is on the car title it is your car. YOu will have to fight for the car since both of your names are on the car registration. If you want the protection of marriage you needed to be married.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">