• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do next?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rb4minus1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I was divorced in Florida. Marriage agreement in effect - I signed a quit claim deed for the house, he gives me $10K. He did pay 6K. I had to take him back to court for the balance. Court ordered now to pay $150/month until paid - including interest. Payments needs to be paid NLT the 15th of each month. Payments started in May - and he's been late 3 times. He took it upon himself to add $10 for a late fee with each late payment.

I recently remarried and notified both him and the courts of my name change. I notified him only to have the checks made payable to my new married name. So far this month - no payment, and I'm not sure if I'll get one. Little miffed due to the marriage???

I read through the court paperwork and it states " Former wife shall nevertheless have all rights that a judgment creditor has against a judgment debtor in the State of Florida which entitle her to concurrently pursue lump sum collection of this debt obligation".

What exactly does this mean? I'm tired of the games, and ready for further legal action - just don't know what to do...

Any input is appreciated. Thank You.

ecmst12

Google "enforcing a judgement in Florida". See if you will be able to garnish wages or attach assets (if he has any). If he writes you checks, you know where his bank account is, you can file to seize it. Once you find out your options, you will probably need a lawyer to help with the paperwork.

rb4minus1

Thanks for the advice.

I'll start some research. I was able to do my whole divorce and contempt motion without an attorney - was hoping to do the same again. Again, thank you...

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I was divorced in Florida. Marriage agreement in effect - I signed a quit claim deed for the house, he gives me $10K. He did pay 6K. I had to take him back to court for the balance. Court ordered now to pay $150/month until paid - including interest. Payments needs to be paid NLT the 15th of each month. Payments started in May - and he's been late 3 times. He took it upon himself to add $10 for a late fee with each late payment.

I recently remarried and notified both him and the courts of my name change. I notified him only to have the checks made payable to my new married name. So far this month - no payment, and I'm not sure if I'll get one. Little miffed due to the marriage???

I read through the court paperwork and it states " Former wife shall nevertheless have all rights that a judgment creditor has against a judgment debtor in the State of Florida which entitle her to concurrently pursue lump sum collection of this debt obligation".

What exactly does this mean? I'm tired of the games, and ready for further legal action - just don't know what to do...

Any input is appreciated. Thank You.
It might be easier for you to file a contempt motion and ask the court to order a lump sum payment, or an income deduction order.

To find out which way will be better you should get a quick consult with an attorney. You can get a low cost consult by calling the Florida Bar Lawyer Refferal Service at 1-800-342-8011.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">