• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What exactly is the definition of a minor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

piercer

I was hoping that someone may be able to give me an exact definition of a minor? Is the definition the same for every state? Is the determination Federal or state?
I am a body piercer in Ohio and have searched extensively for a written definition of the word "minor". The reason I ask is that states require parental consent for a minor to obtain a tattoo or piercing. I do understand that means under 18, but when does a child become a minor? I have been told that 12 is the age in Ohio, we set the minimum age for a tattoo or piercing with consent at 16 (as per our insurance company.)
I am asked a lot about ages and although I know the age at which a minor becomes an adult, I do not know exactly when a child becomes a minor!

U

Ukiah

piercer said:
I was hoping that someone may be able to give me an exact definition of a minor? Is the definition the same for every state? Is the determination Federal or state?
I am a body piercer in Ohio and have searched extensively for a written definition of the word "minor". The reason I ask is that states require parental consent for a minor to obtain a tattoo or piercing. I do understand that means under 18, but when does a child become a minor? I have been told that 12 is the age in Ohio, we set the minimum age for a tattoo or piercing with consent at 16 (as per our insurance company.)
I am asked a lot about ages and although I know the age at which a minor becomes an adult, I do not know exactly when a child becomes a minor!
According to Black's Law Dictionary, a "minor" is;

"A person who has not reached full leagal age; a child or juvenile. - Also termed infant.

"minority"
1. The state or condition of being under legal age. - Also termed infancy; nonage; immaturity.

P

piercer

Thanks!!

Thanks for the information! I guess that really state laws require more definition!! I don't think the laws are really specific enough with regards to body piercing and tattooing.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

piercer said:
My response:

The age of majority was set by Federal law in 1972 as an outgrowth of protests during the Vietnam War. Congress, after much hullaballoo, decided and agreed with the people, that if you were old enough to go to war, and die for your country, then you should have all of the rights and privileges of adults who, before 1972, had to be 21 years of age. So, in 1972, the law was changed to 18 years of age for "most" privileges - buying alcohol, gambling, etc., being notable exceptions to the 18 years of age law.

Sometimes, we hear the phrase "minor child". In reality, that phrase is an oxymoron. The word "minor" connotes a "child" because any person (not just 12 years old) under the age of majority (18) is a "minor". It is a rare case, indeed, when we would refer to a 1 year old, for example, as a "minor". We normally refer to a 1 year old as a child; but, the reality is, a child is a person under the age of majority. So, it would be correct to say, "That 17 year old is a child" - - although, by the time a child reaches their teen years, we normally refer to such person as a "minor".

So, in summary, a "minor" is any person under the age of 18, and we refer to such person as such if they are teenagers. A child is a person not yet in their teen years. But, the reality is that any person under 18, regardless of their age, is a "minor".

IAAL

U

Ukiah

Re: Thanks!!

piercer said:
Thanks for the information! I guess that really state laws require more definition!! I don't think the laws are really specific enough with regards to body piercing and tattooing.
As long as someone is under the age of 18, they are not adults. If you are looking to get a peircing, and are under age, you should wait to get the piercing until you turn 18, or have parental consent to get the piercing.

If/ when you go to have it done, you should read their legal form that they provide for their protection. But know this, a child may not be bound by a legal contract, thus the piercer, would be in alot of trouble for piercing a minor without the explicit written consent of a parent or legal guardian.

(If I'm wrong, I'm sure one of the legal guys will correct me)

P

piercer

It seems strange!

I appreciate your time and opinions although it seems strange to me that when the states write their legislation for tattooing and body piercing that most don't include a minimum age. As I said before, we only provide service for 16 year olds and over with parental consent, but there are some really strange individuals out there who don't see a problem in bringing in 9 year olds!

U

Ukiah

Re: It seems strange!

piercer said:
I appreciate your time and opinions although it seems strange to me that when the states write their legislation for tattooing and body piercing that most don't include a minimum age. As I said before, we only provide service for 16 year olds and over with parental consent, but there are some really strange individuals out there who don't see a problem in bringing in 9 year olds!
I hope you refuse to pierce those 9 year olds!! Maybe it's some kind of scare tactic by the parent to get the child to refrian from getting a piercing or tattoo. (I hope)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">