• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shidi01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My husband is in rehab for drug addiction. Am I legally within my rights to have locks changed in order to feel safe? He has stolen jewelry and money from me; if he does not complete treatment I do not want him coming home. He does not have ajob and no source of income to pay anything towards rent. So do I have the legal right to not permit him to come home under those conditions I eplained.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My husband is in rehab for drug addiction. Am I legally within my rights to have locks changed in order to feel safe? He has stolen jewelry and money from me; if he does not complete treatment I do not want him coming home. He does not have ajob and no source of income to pay anything towards rent. So do I have the legal right to not permit him to come home under those conditions I eplained.
Not without a court order you don't.

JETX

Yes. You have the 'right' to change the locks. However, he has the right to demand that you give him a key.
The only way to solve your problem LEGALLY is to file for a divorce and get an injunction prohibiting him from accessing the property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">