• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what are my rights as a step mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angie linan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? texas

My step daughter lives with us... I am her stepmother, I am providing her needs. health insurance, shelter, etc

what are my rights as a step parent?
she is always throwing the fact that I am not her mother in my face.. but I;m playing the role of a mother

I am tired of her behvior:(

Just Blue

My step daughter lives with us... I am her stepmother, I am providing her needs. health insurance, shelter, etc

she is always throwing the fact that I am not her mother in my face.. but I;m playing the role of a mother

You have no legal rights. You do have the "right" to be treated with respect tho. Why isn't Dad correcting this attitude of the brat?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Your stepdaughter is correct in that you are NOT her mother. How are you playing the role of the mother? Do you discipline the child? Do you give permission for medical treatment and school permission slips? Do you attend parent teach conferences? When does the child state that you are not her mother? What type of things are happening when she states that?

TinkerBelleLuvr

This is one right she does have:
FERPA is a Federal law that gives parents or eligible students the right to have access to a student's education records, the right to seek to have the records amended, and the right to have some control over the disclosure of information from the records. The term "education records" is defined as those records that contain information directly related to a student and which are maintained by an educational agency or institution or by a party acting for the agency or institution. 34 CFR § 99.3 "Education records."

The term "parent" is defined as including natural parents, a guardian, or an individual acting as a parent in the absence of a parent or a guardian. 34 CFR § 99.3 "Parent." The Department has determined that a parent is absent if he or she is not present in the day-to-day home environment of the child. Accordingly, a stepparent has rights under FERPA where the stepparent is present on a day-to-day basis with the natural parent and child and the other parent is absent from that home. In such cases, stepparents have the same rights under FERPA as do natural parents. Conversely, a stepparent who is not present on a day-to-day basis in the home of the child does not have rights under FERPA with respect to such child's education records.
http://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/library/hastings082004.html

LdiJ

How old is the child? Does she have a mother? Are you perhaps overstepping in your role in the family?

Gracie3787

Oh, the posters here who love to tell step-parents that they have NO rights are really gonna hate your post.:D

However, I'm not one of them, I've seen too many cases where a court has given steps some rights, in addition to my son having one of the best step moms when he was growing up. He called her Mom#2 and it never bothered me 'cause she was the one who willingly took over the role as step mom when my son went to live with his dad years ago.

Instead of simply telling posters that they have no rights, we should be telling them that they really have whatever rights the law, a court or the parents allow them to have, because that is more truthful than automatically saying they have no rights and should keep quiet.

BTW- I'm not referring to the ones who are truly overstepping, just the ones who are trying to be good step-parents.

cyjeff

Oh, the posters here who love to tell step-parents that they have NO rights are really gonna hate your post.:D

However, I'm not one of them, I've seen too many cases where a court has given steps some rights, in addition to my son having one of the best step moms when he was growing up. He called her Mom#2 and it never bothered me 'cause she was the one who willingly took over the role as step mom when my son went to live with his dad years ago.

Instead of simply telling posters that they have no rights, we should be telling them that they really have whatever rights the law, a court or the parents allow them to have, because that is more truthful than automatically saying they have no rights and should keep quiet.

BTW- I'm not referring to the ones who are truly overstepping, just the ones who are trying to be good step-parents.
The key here is the phrase "whatever the courts or the parents give them".

As a step parent myself, I can tell you that my rights are exactly what the parents of the child give me.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">