• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my rights as an Unmarried father?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dad1207

Hello I am an un-married father from Illinois. I have been living with the mother of my child for 3 years now. We both have worked together to raise our son. Every once in a while though we get into a fight where she will threaten to take my son away and I wont have any rights to do anything about it. I would like to know what exactly my rights are? Both I and the mother have signed the Illinois Volunteer Acknowledgment of paternity , I am on the birth certificate, my son and I share the same last name, he is on my medical insurance, and I have claimed him as a dependent on my taxes the last 2 years. I believe this should show that I am complete committed to being a father, and I am trying to be the best one I can be. I am completely in love with my son, and would like to be with him as much as possible. If something bad does happen, and my relationship with his mother does not work out. What can I do to ensure that my son and I can continue our relationship as well?

CourtClerk

Hello I am an un-married father from Illinois. I have been living with the mother of my child for 3 years now. We both have worked together to raise our son. Every once in a while though we get into a fight where she will threaten to take my son away and I wont have any rights to do anything about it. I would like to know what exactly my rights are? Both I and the mother have signed the Illinois Volunteer Acknowledgment of paternity , I am on the birth certificate, my son and I share the same last name, he is on my medical insurance, and I have claimed him as a dependent on my taxes the last 2 years. I believe this should show that I am complete committed to being a father, and I am trying to be the best one I can be. I am completely in love with my son, and would like to be with him as much as possible. If something bad does happen, and my relationship with his mother does not work out. What can I do to ensure that my son and I can continue our relationship as well?
Get a custody order now.

CourtClerk

is there any chance of getting full custody?
No, but you have an excellent chance of having joint custody of the child you made with this woman jointly. There is no reason that you have stated that would warrant sole custody in either direction. You both live together now, you both are parenting the child together, keep doing it, until the child is 18.

***This is not the time to start talking about how awful a person she is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">