• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What rights (if any) does my ex-girlfriend have

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jameshall

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

My ex-girlfriend is from another country. I met her in Los Angeles 10 years ago and then again in 2004 when I was visiting friends in her country, where she was currently living.

We renewed our friendship and kept in contact for a few months until I returned to her country.

We spent a few days together and I asked her if she would consider having a relationship with me. Of course that meant that she would have to live with me in th U.S.

She said she would like to but she had no way to work in the U.S. I told her that she should give it a try for three months to see if she and I got along well before making any long term plans. She agreed.

My job is one of extensive travel. I am away for one to two weeks at a time and also weekends. Many of the long trips are out of the U.S.

She came to visit, as a tourist, for three months in May of 2005. Things were new, but seemed to be fine. I didn't travel too much and when I took a trip within the U.S. she would tag along. My boss was fond of her.

After three months, she went back to her country and stayed for about six weeks. I went to her country to visit her for a week in September 2005.

Shortly after, she came back to the U.S. and decided to change here status to that of a student. Her brother sponsored her with her school, although it was me who wrote the checks and therefore paid her tuition. I also supplied her with a car for transportation (it was my old car, but it was free!). She didn’t like the car…..

She studied at college to be a massage therapist.

I supplied her with food and everything she needed. She had my bank card and credit card. I put her on my cell phone plan.

Over the next two years, until the end of 2007, our relationship had its’ ups and downs but gradually deteriorated.

One day she took ten thousand dollars from my office draw and put it as a down-payment on a car, without asking my permission. I intended to buy another car for myself that she could use but not a new car! I never bought a new car for myself in my life..

My trips were longer and more frequent so we never spent a long time together to gel the relationship. We sought advice at my girlfriend’s request, but it did not help. I was hoping something magical would happen but it never did,
For me there was not the right chemistry. It was over.

Her family spent Christmas 2007 with us and when they left I sat down with my girlfriend and broke the news. She went crazy!!

She accused me of taking her from her country and bringing her here just so I would look good.

She said that we are basically married for the last two and a half years and she has rights.

She claims to be emotionally neglected to the extent that she can claim damages from me.

It was a tough couple of years for me also but I wish to move on. Had I been at home constantly during that time then perhaps we’d be apart after six months or happily married.

I know she is hurt. She is in her mid-thirties and wants to get married and have kids too. I believe that this is her motivation to come after me.

What should I do?

Thank you.

James

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">