• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When do live-ins become legal couples ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

interceptor

Setting emotion and judgment aside .. A man moved in with my daughter. (both in mid 20's) As things go nowadays, they just had a daughter. Before he moved in, my daughter owned the house, two cars, bank accounts, 401K plan, etc.
Question: Is there a point in time that, under the law, the assets are considered as common property even though they are still not married ? (Indiana)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

interceptor said:
Setting emotion and judgment aside .. A man moved in with my daughter. (both in mid 20's) As things go nowadays, they just had a daughter. Before he moved in, my daughter owned the house, two cars, bank accounts, 401K plan, etc.
Question: Is there a point in time that, under the law, the assets are considered as common property even though they are still not married ? (Indiana)
My response:

Indiana is NOT a common law marriage State. So, theoretically, they could live "in sin" for the next 50 years, and it wouldn't matter. What's hers is hers.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 02-07-2001 at 08:03 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">