• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who Gets The Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whosecar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?New Hampshire
I'm thinking of leaving my partner of 12yrs. The only property that I definitely need is the car. I'm the primary signer but I needed my partner as a cosigner. I wouldn't qualify to refinance the car on my own. we currently live in New Hampshire and the car is registered under both names. I wouldn't be surprised if he would report the car as stolen if I just left. Any advice?

Last edited:

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?New Hampshire
I'm thinking of leaving my partner of 12yrs. The only property that I definitely need is the car. I'm the primary signer but I needed my partner as a cosigner. I wouldn't qualify to refinance the car on my own. we currently live in New Hampshire and the car is registered under both names. I wouldn't be surprised if he would report the car as stolen if I just left. Any advice?
If you are the registered owner of the car, he cannot report it stolen. Who is making the payments on the note?

FlyingRon

Property distribution in a NH divorce is an equitable settlement. All the marital assets and liabilities will be looked out to negotiate a deal that both parties come out about the same. Until then, both of you still own the car. No he can't legitimately report it stolen. If you don't make the payments and/or keep it insured, however it may get repo'd.

Antigone*

Property distribution in a NH divorce is an equitable settlement. All the marital assets and liabilities will be looked out to negotiate a deal that both parties come out about the same. Until then, both of you still own the car. No he can't legitimately report it stolen. If you don't make the payments and/or keep it insured, however it may get repo'd.
I'm not sure we're dealing with a divorce situation here. The OP said partner, and said leaving...never mentioned divorce.

whosecar

Thank you for your reply Antigone. I don't think it could be considered a divorce situation because we aren't legally married. I pay all the bills.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">