• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who gets the furniture?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HRH79

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

Ok, I hope I am posting this in the right forum, if not, forgive me! I'm hoping someone can help me..

My boyfriend and I broke up a few weeks ago and he moved out of the house we were renting together. When we moved into this house, I brought all my furniture from my old home and he only brought his clothing and a few personal items. I purchased new couches shortly after we moved in, using money from my paycheck. I no longer have the receipt for this purchase and since it was paid for in cash, there is no record of the purchase in my bank account. Now, three weeks after he has moved out, he calls and says he is coming to pick up the couches, that he is going to take them and let me keep the other furniture (which was mine from my previous home in the first place!). I told him no and he said he was going to come get them anyway. Now, if he actually does show up, I plan on calling the police to mediate... is there any possible way they will give him the couches, even though I paid for them and he has no receipt or proof that they are his (and neither do I for that matter). I'm just trying to figure out what my rights are legally, so any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">