• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who owns his things?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

benski2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
Hi, I don't know if this is the right section for this, I wasn't really sure where to put it.
My girlfriend is 18, we have a baby. Her and our boy have been living with her parents but they're moving in with me. Her parents don't want her to and just kinda hate me.
So. Most of my son's things are at gf's parents house. We've moved some of his things and plan to get the rest in the next few days. Her parents say I'm stealing things from them, and they'll call the cops, and we can't have stuff. They're trying to manipulate her to stay.
This includes things that my parents and me have bought for my son. So who owns all that stuff? My son, my gf or her parents since its all in their house? Am I doing anything wrong getting his stuff?

ecmst12

You should stay out of it and let her move her own things, and her child's things, out of the house on her own.

How old are you? Have you been legally declared the child's father? Did you sign an AOP? Are you on the birth certificate?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
Hi, I don't know if this is the right section for this, I wasn't really sure where to put it.
My girlfriend is 18, we have a baby. Her and our boy have been living with her parents but they're moving in with me. Her parents don't want her to and just kinda hate me.
So. Most of my son's things are at gf's parents house. We've moved some of his things and plan to get the rest in the next few days. Her parents say I'm stealing things from them, and they'll call the cops, and we can't have stuff. They're trying to manipulate her to stay.
This includes things that my parents and me have bought for my son. So who owns all that stuff? My son, my gf or her parents since its all in their house? Am I doing anything wrong getting his stuff?
I agree with the other advice that you were given, however, specifically, nothing that was gifted to your son or your girlfriend by third parties belongs to her parents, and they are wrong to attempt to keep those items. It doesn't matter if the items happen to be in their home, they are not their property. I would suggest that the people who gifted those items to your girlfriend and child specifically ask the parents for them back if nothing else works.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">