• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Whos Obligation to pay childrens doctor bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cedarrose24

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Dakota
I have two children with my ex and there is a large amount owed in doctor bills. I have not filed for child support or custody yet but would like to gain as much information as I can before hand. All of my childrens doctor bills are under my name and there are some that have already gone to collections. I am waiting for my tax return and with that will pay on the bills, but knowing their father he won't pay on any of them. With that being said will there be a legal way so that he has to pay also?

Isis1

I have two children with my ex and there is a large amount owed in doctor bills. I have not filed for child support or custody yet but would like to gain as much information as I can before hand. All of my childrens doctor bills are under my name and there are some that have already gone to collections. I am waiting for my tax return and with that will pay on the bills, but knowing their father he won't pay on any of them. With that being said will there be a legal way so that he has to pay also?

has paternity been established yet?

with no court order, no paternity establishment, "dad" isn't legally required to pay a darn thing.

Isis1

He signed both of their birth certificates and is the biological father.
so that's a "no".

he doesn't have to pay anything until he is court ordered to do so,

file for paternity establishment, custody, visitation and child support. request from here on out, that dad be held responsible for half of all uncovered medical expenses. request dad be held responsible for half of the medical insurance payment.

some states provide for retro support. i don't remember south dakota being one of them.

Gracie3787

File for a CS order and ask that he be ordered to pay part of the medical bills. Since you didn't have an order it will be up to the Judge to determine if he has to pay for those particular bills or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">