• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Would like to change my daughter's last name.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mequierosermama

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I would like to change my daughter's last name. She has her father's last name, however we were never married. At 3 months old her father was arrested and placed in prison. He just got out of prison and was deported out of the country. My daughter is four years old and obviously her father was never a part of her life. I also have a restraining order against him. Since he is out of the country permanently and he was never part of her life, what do I need to do to change her last name?

Isis1

I would like to change my daughter's last name. She has her father's last name, however we were never married. At 3 months old her father was arrested and placed in prison. He just got out of prison and was deported out of the country. My daughter is four years old and obviously her father was never a part of her life. I also have a restraining order against him. Since he is out of the country permanently and he was never part of her life, what do I need to do to change her last name?
was dad's paternity ever established? was the AOP signed at the hospital? does the birth certificate have dad's name on it?

LdiJ

I think that you probably need an attorney for this one. Since the child is 4, has never met dad and is unlikely to ever meet dad, its probably something that you can do, but it would likely take an attorney to make sure that its done properly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">