• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

$1,500 Medical Fee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maz322

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
Hello, I just had a few question in regards to my situation. So, today I was just paying some bills and decided to check my credit score in which I see I have an account in collections for 1,500 from an E.R. visit from last year. Let me give you a bit of a background story on why I am conflicted on paying them. On July 6, 2015 I woke up around 2am with stomach pain, I was around 10 weeks pregnant at the time so the first thought that popped into my head was that I was losing my daughter so I rushed to the hospital. After a few hours of running test after test and as well pushing morphine into my body, a doctor walks in saying nothing is wrong with me that my white blood cell count is normal, the baby is normal, and that cause of my pain is round ligament pain due to my baby growing. He sends off on our way. I was still in pain I hurt to walk but I believed that the doctor was right and didn't question it further. Around 4PM that afternoon the pain had increased it got to the point where I could put on my pants to go to work. Walking down the stairs was painful but I somehow managed to get into the car. But the pain was only worse when I tried drivig so I call my husband telling him to take me to a diffrent hospital since the one we had gone to previously had blown off everything I told them in regards to my pain. We get there I start throwing up, it got to the point I started throwing up stomach bile. The nurse trying to get me into a room to seen but the more time that passed the more worse the pain got. Fast forward to an hour later I have 2 nurses trying to get me to calm down because I refused to let them touch me because everytime I did I would throw up. All I can think about is how this was it I was losing my baby. I was once again put on morphine to ease the pain and then finally taken to get an MRI. In less then 20 minutes they found the cause of my pain. My appendix was enlarged to the point that it was about to burst. The general doctor was trying to find a OBGYN to approve my surgery since I was pregnant and wanted to do everything they could to make sure I did not lose my daughter. They finally get OBGYN he approved me surgery but he made me sign a paper saying that due to the enlargment of the my appendix I had a really high risk of losing my daughter and that they would save me before for her. It took every bone in my body to sign that paper. Then I was rushed to emergency surgery. My question is now, do i have to pay whatever the first hospital is asking for? The general doctor that was on my case said this could have easily been prevented if it was caught early. I honestly feel like I should not pay for this bill since the hospital that's billing me is not the hospital that cured me. I'm not sure on what I should do. I'm sorry if my post doesn't make sense. Any advice or suggestions is appreciated! I just want some ideas on what I should. I don't mind paying it if I have to but I feel like I should not have too. Does that make sense? Thanks

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
Hello, I just had a few question in regards to my situation. So, today I was just paying some bills and decided to check my credit score in which I see I have an account in collections for 1,500 from an E.R. visit from last year. Let me give you a bit of a background story on why I am conflicted on paying them. On July 6, 2015 I woke up around 2am with stomach pain, I was around 10 weeks pregnant at the time so the first thought that popped into my head was that I was losing my daughter so I rushed to the hospital. After a few hours of running test after test and as well pushing morphine into my body, a doctor walks in saying nothing is wrong with me that my white blood cell count is normal, the baby is normal, and that cause of my pain is round ligament pain due to my baby growing. He sends off on our way. I was still in pain I hurt to walk but I believed that the doctor was right and didn't question it further. Around 4PM that afternoon the pain had increased it got to the point where I could put on my pants to go to work. Walking down the stairs was painful but I somehow managed to get into the car. But the pain was only worse when I tried drivig so I call my husband telling him to take me to a diffrent hospital since the one we had gone to previously had blown off everything I told them in regards to my pain. We get there I start throwing up, it got to the point I started throwing up stomach bile. The nurse trying to get me into a room to seen but the more time that passed the more worse the pain got. Fast forward to an hour later I have 2 nurses trying to get me to calm down because I refused to let them touch me because everytime I did I would throw up. All I can think about is how this was it I was losing my baby. I was once again put on morphine to ease the pain and then finally taken to get an MRI. In less then 20 minutes they found the cause of my pain. My appendix was enlarged to the point that it was about to burst. The general doctor was trying to find a OBGYN to approve my surgery since I was pregnant and wanted to do everything they could to make sure I did not lose my daughter. They finally get OBGYN he approved me surgery but he made me sign a paper saying that due to the enlargment of the my appendix I had a really high risk of losing my daughter and that they would save me before for her. It took every bone in my body to sign that paper. Then I was rushed to emergency surgery. My question is now, do i have to pay whatever the first hospital is asking for? The general doctor that was on my case said this could have easily been prevented if it was caught early. I honestly feel like I should not pay for this bill since the hospital that's billing me is not the hospital that cured me. I'm not sure on what I should do. I'm sorry if my post doesn't make sense. Any advice or suggestions is appreciated! I just want some ideas on what I should. I don't mind paying it if I have to but I feel like I should not have too. Does that make sense? Thanks
How is your daughter?

ajkroy

There are a lot of circumstances here. First, was that your portion after the insurance paid or was it applied to your deductible? If it was applied to your deductible, you're going to have to pay it to someone, even if you get the first hospital to negate the bill. What does your insurance say? Have you spoken with the hospital sending the bill and told them what happened to you?

LdiJ

There are a lot of circumstances here. First, was that your portion after the insurance paid or was it applied to your deductible? If it was applied to your deductible, you're going to have to pay it to someone, even if you get the first hospital to negate the bill. What does your insurance say? Have you spoken with the hospital sending the bill and told them what happened to you?
Why would she have to pay it to SOMEONE? Are you assuming she has a high deductible plan?

Dave1952

If I'm following you, you experienced abdominal pain which caused you to go to the ER. The ER ran tests, treated your pain, and concluded that you had " round ligament" pain because of your pregnancy. You accepted this and went home. The pain recurred and nausea was present. You chose not to go back to the first ER but went to a second ER. This ER decided that you had appendicitis. I presume that you were treated for appendicitis.
It's been more than a year, why haven't you been in discussion with the first ER about this bill? Did the second ER redo all of the lab tests that the first ER had done?

ecmst12

If the first hospital had detected the appendicitis, you still would have needed surgery. The delay in diagnosis didn't cause you any actual damage. Also, it may not have been detectable when you were seen the first time, especially if your WBC was normal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">