• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 week miscarriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mom06

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Okay I do not know if I have a case I think not but people have been telling me I need to sue. Here is my story.

I awoke at midnight my water had broken and there was alot of blood. we called the ambulance. They took me to the hospital, on the ride they had no one aboard that could give me an I.V., I told the guy that I thought I delivered my baby he pulled out my panties and said no I was okay.
We arrived at the hospital they took me to the E.R. I asked to go to L&D they said no because even if I delivered the baby was not viable. The nurse gave me an I.V. typed my blood because the bleeding was so severe they thought I may need a transfusion later. She cleaned me up and had called for an ultrasound machine I said that I didn't need one I had felt my baby deliver in the ambulance. The EMT then stated to her that he left my tampon in. It turned out that my tampon was the baby. When the nurse removed my panties the baby came out. She called for the doctor, when he came into the room he looked horrified. The nurse was the one to actually remove the baby. I had asked that they allow my husband to come in before this was done. He walked in as the nurse picked up the baby, totally unprepared for what was happening. they took Gabe ( the baby out) a few minutes later a nurse walked and asked if we wanted them to "dispose of it" for us or if we wanted a funeral. We chose a funeral it was a baby. They then came back about 5 minutes later wanting to know what home we were gonna use. We don't know, well we need it before you leave.
About 20 minutes later they came back and asked if we wanted to see "it" before they took it down, we said yes. They came back a few minutes later with my baby in a metal bowl.
They said that I needed a D&C but would have to wait 5-6 hours until the head of obstectrics arrived. My husband then told them to call her at home and asker her to come in. they said no "my husband then said call her and tell her that her cousin is in here with his wife and what has happened." You are related to her. we said yes and they called her she was there within a 1/2 hour. Once she arrived the way we were treated changed dramitically.
We were given a memory box with photos and thought they would be of Gabe wrapped up in a blanket but he is just laying on a piece of paper not cleaned or covered.
The experience at the hospital made the situation that much worse. Losing a baby this far along is tramatic but our experience was compounded by the lack of experience in the emergency department in dealing with this kind of situation.
The EMT was terminated about a week later I do not know if it was because of my complaining at the hospital or if he was let go for other reasons.
Ifit is a case I would want any damages to go into a fund for other parents in this situation and some training at this facility.

Antigone*

Okay I do not know if I have a case I think not but people have been telling me I need to sue. Here is my story.

I awoke at midnight my water had broken and there was alot of blood. we called the ambulance. They took me to the hospital, on the ride they had no one aboard that could give me an I.V., I told the guy that I thought I delivered my baby he pulled out my panties and said no I was okay.
We arrived at the hospital they took me to the E.R. I asked to go to L&D they said no because even if I delivered the baby was not viable. The nurse gave me an I.V. typed my blood because the bleeding was so severe they thought I may need a transfusion later. She cleaned me up and had called for an ultrasound machine I said that I didn't need one I had felt my baby deliver in the ambulance. The EMT then stated to her that he left my tampon in. It turned out that my tampon was the baby. When the nurse removed my panties the baby came out. She called for the doctor, when he came into the room he looked horrified. The nurse was the one to actually remove the baby. I had asked that they allow my husband to come in before this was done. He walked in as the nurse picked up the baby, totally unprepared for what was happening. they took Gabe ( the baby out) a few minutes later a nurse walked and asked if we wanted them to "dispose of it" for us or if we wanted a funeral. We chose a funeral it was a baby. They then came back about 5 minutes later wanting to know what home we were gonna use. We don't know, well we need it before you leave.
About 20 minutes later they came back and asked if we wanted to see "it" before they took it down, we said yes. They came back a few minutes later with my baby in a metal bowl.
They said that I needed a D&C but would have to wait 5-6 hours until the head of obstectrics arrived. My husband then told them to call her at home and asker her to come in. they said no "my husband then said call her and tell her that her cousin is in here with his wife and what has happened." You are related to her. we said yes and they called her she was there within a 1/2 hour. Once she arrived the way we were treated changed dramitically.
We were given a memory box with photos and thought they would be of Gabe wrapped up in a blanket but he is just laying on a piece of paper not cleaned or covered.
The experience at the hospital made the situation that much worse. Losing a baby this far along is tramatic but our experience was compounded by the lack of experience in the emergency department in dealing with this kind of situation.
The EMT was terminated about a week later I do not know if it was because of my complaining at the hospital or if he was let go for other reasons.
Ifit is a case I would want any damages to go into a fund for other parents in this situation and some training at this facility.
I am really sorry for your loss ~ losing a child is one of the most horrible experiences you will every have to face. If your water had broken and there was significant bleeding prior to even being transported by the paramedics, it is most likely that by the time you got into the amublance the baby was already dead.

I see no reason for any type of lawsuit. Again, I am sorry for all your pain.

Isis1

OP, regardless if you pursue this as a lawsuit, please get some therapy assistance. losing a living child is such a horrible experience, losing one in pregnancy, is just as bad, if not worse. you need to deal with the death.

my condolences.

We arrived at the hospital they took me to the E.R.

ok, so far so good.

I asked to go to L&D they said no because even if I delivered the baby was not viable.

this is completely correct!!!!! Nothing before 21 weeks is viable and your water broke, nothing could be done.

The nurse gave me an I.V. typed my blood because the bleeding was so severe they thought I may need a transfusion later. She cleaned me up and had called for an ultrasound machine I said that I didn't need one I had felt my baby deliver in the ambulance.

So far, so good, everything was done correctly and the u/s was probably to make sure that everything was out.

The EMT then stated to her that he left my tampon in. It turned out that my tampon was the baby. When the nurse removed my panties the baby came out. She called for the doctor, when he came into the room he looked horrified.

that is your perception that the dr was gorrified. I am sure that as an er dr, it is not the first time he has seen that.

The nurse was the one to actually remove the baby. I had asked that they allow my husband to come in before this was done.

why would you want your husband to see the dead baby being removed from your body and this reads that you asked for hubby after the baby was out!!!

He walked in as the nurse picked up the baby, totally unprepared for what was happening. they took Gabe ( the baby out) a few minutes later a nurse walked and asked if we wanted them to "dispose of it" for us or if we wanted a funeral.

so, noone went to get hubby, he walked in on his own and they gave you a choice to bury it, what is the problem with this?

We chose a funeral it was a baby. They then came back about 5 minutes later wanting to know what home we were gonna use. We don't know, well we need it before you leave.

correctm you need to know so the funeral home can be called.

sorry, I do not believe this.

They said that I needed a D&C but would have to wait 5-6 hours until the head of obstectrics arrived. My husband then told them to call her at home and asker her to come in. they said no "my husband then said call her and tell her that her cousin is in here with his wife and what has happened." You are related to her. we said yes and they called her she was there within a 1/2 hour.

well, you called a relative that came running in, good for you but it made no difference inyour care.

Once she arrived the way we were treated changed dramitically.

sorry, I dont believe this.

you dont like the pics? Get rid of them

you were given appropriate medical care and you now need some counseling.

Ifit is a case I would want any damages to go into a fund for other parents in this situation and some training at this facility.[/QUOTE
]

you are mad and lashing out at anyone and everyone. If I was the emt and I was fired due to your complaint, I would sue you for loss of my job!!!! You were taken to the hospital, he didnt see the baby, this is a person with 6 months training and he is now unemployed due to you. GO GET COUNSELING and come to terms with the fact that sometimes, pregnancies dont work out and it is no ones fault. It just happens. Before you respond to me with some smart comment, I had 10 pregnabncies and only 2 children. I know exactly what goes on with this situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">