• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 Cerec Crowns Cracked within 1 year on molar

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rovergirl

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I went to this dentist as my molars had fractured and rather than getting regular crowns, I wanted to go with Cerec onlays. I had the work done and as a result, both teeth have fractured and broken off and now I have to get the work done again.
My insurance won't cover it as they have a 5 year limit on crown replacements. Plus, my dentist is charging me as they claim it's not their fault it cracked.

Do I have any course of action? I am walking around with a broken tooth now trying to decide how to handle this situation. I don't feel like I should be responsible as I believe the crowns should have lasted and they should not have damaged my teeth further.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Is this malpractice?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

seniorjudge

If you think it is malpractice, then before you see a lawyer, hire two different dentists to give you written opinions as to whether the first doctor did something wrong.

rovergirl

I hate to think of it as malpractice but I don't know what else to call it. I do feel that I should not have to replace these crowns and I am not happy the teeth have broken further. I am only 42 and having these problems and I have never had problems with my teeth before.
I do plan on going to another dentist so should I request copies of all my records so I can take them to my appointment?

ecmst12

Of course you need to request a copy of your records. Although you have the right to a copy, the original record is NOT your property, it belongs to the office.

A relevant question is what were you doing when the crown broke?

rovergirl

Nothing crazy, lol. first one broke in my mouth, wasn't even eating anything. Second one broke while eating a cheeseburger. Didn't bite down on anything, just sort of came off in my mouth.

lya

At your request, you put overlays on fractured teeth rather than have a 'regular' crown.
Now, you know why overlays are not the treatment of choice on molars with fractures.

Your decison to get overlays; your privilege to pay for the right kind of crowns.

barry1817

for malpractice

Nothing crazy, lol. first one broke in my mouth, wasn't even eating anything. Second one broke while eating a cheeseburger. Didn't bite down on anything, just sort of came off in my mouth.
YOu will need to have x-rays of before and after, and if the dentist took photos of the teeth prior to treatment you would want copies of the photos taken. Did he take diagnostic models of your teeth prior to treatment? Did his charts indicate the extent of the decay/fillings that were present before treatment was started.

It could become an issue of one expert against another, but you are not the one to diagnose your mouth, that is the dentist's job, and if his diagnosis was negligence and you have experience problems, which you indicate, you have to get the opinion that the onlays were not the proper treatment for the teeth involved.

Onlays on molars with little tooth structure would generally not be considered a good candidate for an only but for full coverage.

If you get the x-rays and get an attorney to listen to you I would be willing to take a look and give you an opinion.

Feel free to contact me off line, and it does become advisable not to openly discuss a case in a public forum because you do not get the confidentiality that you might want.

[email protected]

subject headline should be freeadvice forum, dental.

barry1817

cerec failure

Thanks! I have an appointment with another dentist this evening and I will ask their opinon.

Failure of Cerec onlay can be because there wasn't enough tooth reduction for strength in the crown. There could be failure because the onlay was too large to support the stress of chewing.

There could be a failure because of the bonding was incorrect.

Sometimes things just fail, and sometimes there are reasons.

Good luck with your new dentist.

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">